1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Poll: 2010 Ryder Cup captain

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TwoGloves, Sep 21, 2008.

?

Who should be the next U.S. Ryder Cup captain?

1. Paul Azinger

16 vote(s)
    45.7%
  2. Davis Love III

2 vote(s)
    5.7%
  3. Fred Couples

2 vote(s)
    5.7%
  4. Corey Pavin

6 vote(s)
    17.1%
  5. Other

3 vote(s)
    8.6%
  6. Mark O'Meara

2 vote(s)
    5.7%
  7. John Daly

4 vote(s)
    11.4%
  1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

John Daly's act ceased being funny a long time ago. Now he's just pathetic. You want a great "everyman" story, look at Boo Weekley or J.B. Holmes.

2. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

hondo is so freaking right about this, and even if that is the only time in the history of this board that I type those words, it's true. Daly is an idiot, and it's not funny anymore, sort of like it stopped being funny with Britney Spears when she started dropping her kids and getting committed to mental hospitals. He'll never captain a Ryder Cup team, nor should he. Boo and J.B. are better men, and probably better players, than Daly will ever be. He would be an absolute disaster as a Ryder Cup captain, and it will never happen.

I'm for Pavin getting a turn. I don't like the idea of repeating captains. Part of what makes it fun every two years is that the personalities change. New strategies, new players, new blood.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Before the re-elect Azinger stuff gets out of control, much of the deserved credit he is being given is for stuff he'd have no control over in two years. The course, the schedule, riling up the fans...his four picks are about it. Azinger would be wise to pass, I can only imagine the abuse he'd face in Europe.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Stick with Azinger. No reason why he wouldn't work in 2 years with a healthy Tiger.

(But I still voted for Daly as a goof.)

5. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

After looking at the options, it will almost certainly be either Pavin or O'Meara, with the edge to O'Meara. He was on five Ryder Cup teams to Pavin's three. I don't really see Couples wanting it.

6. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

A longshot, but only slightly: Jeff Sluman. He has a PGA championship on his resume and has been an assistant captain for the lesser Presidents Cup. He's universally liked by bigwigs and players, but he's never been part of a Ryder Cup team as a player.

7. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

part of the reason miller said what he said about pga champions is because the u.s. side is done by the pga.

8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Maybe Johnny's pissed off no one asked him to be captain.

9. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

I'm sure Johnny understands that ship sailed long ago.

10. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

It doesn't have to be a PGA champion, but a major champion.

Pavin and O'Meara are the likely candidates, although Couples and his`popularity and even-handed personality will get a shot, perhaps in '12 or even '14.

11. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

You think Couples would want to do it though? Remember, this is the guy who it was once said doesn't like to answer the phone because it means somebody is on the other end he has to talk to.

12. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Yes.

After all, he's the President's Cup captain right now. The Champions Tour did a presser with him back in March where he appointed Jeff Sluman (IIRC) as his asst. captain.

Freddie is immensely popular with other players, has a great clubhouse presence and possesses shades of personality that the public rarely sees. He'd do fine.

Draft saved Draft deleted