1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Politics, religion ... what else?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pringle, Feb 7, 2011.

1. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

Sent this text message to my brother during the Super Bowl, thinking he'd go along:

"I wouldn't walk across the street to watch this so-called 'band.' Yikes!"

Got this text message back:

"I actually think they are talented and quite original. I enjoy their music very much. Of course, you don't because they are popular, and you only like music that is obscure or 40 yrs old so you can seem cool."

So the list, I think, of things that you don't talk about at the dinner table is:

Politics
    Religion
    Money/salary
    Music

No wonder the weather and sports are such popular subjects. Although with the rise of the calculator class in baseball, even sports is getting a little touchy.

Do you guys avoid music conversations with people? I can definitely see where one can come off as trying to be superior. Guilty as charged, in other words. Thought it was innocuous. Understand why it wasn't.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I wouldn't talk about your brother, or to him. What a doosh.

3. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

Nah, it was my fault. I know he likes pop music and rolls his eyes at my indie taste. I should have been smarter than to have sent him a quip about the Black-Eyed Peas. I should have realized that might be something he really likes.

I mean, it's all good. I sent some self-deprecating text back and we both got a laugh out of it. But obviously music taste is something people take personally.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

5. \
    FWIW: I thought the halftime show super sucked. I like the BEPs, but what the hell was that? Retread music ... Fat people in LED bodysuits with boxes on their heads? Lead singers in futurisitc cyborg gear..
    And Fergie, please, please do NOT try to sing in place of Axl Rose. Fail!

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Fergie's not Axl, but I enjoyed seeing Slash.

7. Agreed.
    Best part of halftime (says GnR fanboi).

8. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

... any various and sundry parenting issues, including but not limited to ...

breastfeeding vs. formula
    cry-it-out vs. 'attachment style' parenting
    academic vs. play-based preschool
    discipline
    homeschooling

9. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I'm definitely a "cry-it-out" person.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Yeah, no question... I've seen a couple of breastfeeding vs. formula arguments almost get violent.

Discipline is a brutal one as well.

11. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Me, too. I've seen marriages break up because of attachment style parenting. And what good does that do the kids?

12. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I have no idea what one has to do with the other.

Draft saved Draft deleted