1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Politics free what freedom means to me thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by novelist_wannabe, Jul 4, 2006.

1. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I'm a little surprised that Independence Day is now 10 hours old and no one has started a thread on what they value about freedom, in large part because I know what kind of hours some of you keep. At any rate, at the risk of being cloying and cheesy, what does freedom mean to you? (And please, leave the political pissing match somewhere else, OK?)

For me, independence means (and these are in no particular order):

-- Earning a living in the matter I see fit. Might not be the best way, but the choices I've made are my choices.

-- Eating all the food I want. Not eating what I don't want.

-- Buying my son a fishing rod because he asks for it and because I can.

-- Buying my daughter voice lessons because she asks for it and because I can.

-- Buying my wife a new house because she asks for it and because I can.

-- Choosing to help someone when I see a need.

-- Reading what I want to read. Writing what I want to write.

-- Flying a flag on the front of my house because I can.

-- Naming my son Kevin if I damn well want to (I didn't, but still)

-- The responsiblity to pay attention and defend the initiatives I feel are worthwhile, and in the manner I feel is appropriate.

2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

To me, freedom means being able to discuss politics on Internet threads.

3. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

Independence means my right to not practice a religion ... and my sister's right to be a practicing Apostolic Christian ...

... all in the same country, under the same laws and without government interference.

4. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Yes, you're free to do so, smartass. I just didn't want this particular one to devolve into the vitriol-laden toilet film that politics threads inevitably turn into. So I asked -- and quite nicely, I might add -- that it be done somewhere else. There are plenty of other threads available, or you can start your own. But that's not the purpose of this one.

5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I was kidding. Forgot the sarcasm font.

;D

6. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Freedom to express ideas.*

* As long as 98 percent of the people agree with those ideas.

7. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Freedom means being able to cover a silly little 5K race at the city park, come home and right it, then pack the monkey's up into the minivan and return to the park where my little suburb is putting on a party complete with lots of those jumbo-sized inflatable bouncy jumpy things.

TTFN

8. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Independence means you're free to throw in that possessive apostrophe here, but not (hopefully) in the newspaper.

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

You also are free to misspell uNNeeded

Freedom also means going for a free ride on the Staten Island Ferry yesterday, seeing heavily armed NYPD Canine corps cops on patrol at the South Ferry Terminal, and instead of being intimidated, having my girl friend mosey over and ask if it's OK to pet the dogs.
    The cop laughed and suggested that might not be a good idea.

10. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Fixed. Thanks.

11. JME

JME Member

:D

12. audreyld

audreyld Guest

Good thread, N-dub.

To me, freedom means having a voice. It means casting a ballot because I have the ability to choose how I'll be governed. It means a certain measure of responsibility, like not voting for the guy who has the best tie.

It also means that if I want to, I can go ahead and do just that-- vote based on accessories.

It means I'm not barred from higher education because I'm a woman.

It means you can't stop me from thinking. It doesn't matter if those thoughts are kind or hateful, beautiful or ugly. They're mine, and you can't take them away.

Sometimes it means things aren't perfect. Mostly, though, it means I'm terribly, terribly grateful for what I have.

Draft saved Draft deleted