1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

politics and sports

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SheaSeals, Mar 29, 2008.

1. SheaSeals

SheaSeals Member

Read this story a few minutes ago ...

... and was thinking how common it is in college sports that the coaches are conservative republicans and the athletes are often african-americans from low-income backgrounds. I'm admittedly a liberal, but it strikes me as odd. Wouldn't coaches, having experienced the recruiting of AA athletes, be more sympathetic and open to the plights of young black men and women in this country? Wouldn't they, in a sense, be more liberal?

Just a thought.
  2. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I'm not sure why "more liberal" = "more sensitive to the plights of young black men."

but carry on ...
  4. SheaSeals

SheaSeals Member

Hmm ... I'd say because the last Republican president to pass any sort of legislation that helps minorities would be, oh, Abe Lincoln.
  5. ANNNNNNNNNNND, we're off!
  6. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I think I can avoid taking the bait.

But, on what basis does any coach's political leanings typically manifest themselves anyway?

Is Les Miles ridin' around with a McCain sticker on his car?
  7. JoPa's done ignoring Clinton.
    Now he can go back to his real job -- ignoring his quarterback.
  8. Sawker

Sawker New Member

Republican coaches should keep their political leanings to themselves. Look at what happened to Mike Price when everyone found out how much he liked Bush.
  9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

10. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

Just lock it now.
  11. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

On the other hand, why would Hillary want to associate herself with the principal enabler of Rene Portland?
  12. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

This is less true than 40 years ago, but I think the coaching personality, particularly in football, is a conservative, militaristic, discipline-oriented personality, a "traditional values" personality. It is interesting that in the NFL, the players aren't so much like that. I think the intersection tends to be evangelical Christianity. Coming over to covering the NFL from another pro sport several years ago, I was struck by how African-American my team's locker room was, and how much I heard about Jesus.
Draft saved Draft deleted