1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Politics and an 8-year-old girl

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BB Bobcat, Feb 6, 2008.

1. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

The first presidential election I remember was in 1968. I remember wanting Kennedy during the primaries. Then he got killed and the next thing I remember was believing that Nixon would get us out of Vietnam.

I wanted Nixon in 68 and 72, wanted Ford over Carter in 76. Every presidential election I can remember, even before I knew the difference between conservative or liberal, Democrat of Republican, I wanted the Republican to win.

I don't know how old I was, but I remember when I was young (guessing 14 or so) asking my dad what was the difference between Democrats and Republicans.

His answer was along these lines and to me it sounds dead-on: Republicans believe in 'You take care of your's, I'll take care of mine,' Democrats believe we can't take care of ourselves and the government has to do it all.

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Republicans are right about some stuff and wrong about some stuff.
    Democrats are right about some other stuff and wrong about some other stuff.
    But by the time anyone gets to the point of being a professional politician, he or she has already surrendered any honesty, integrity or principle.

3. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

Making the assumption that you are a journalist and among the 98 percent of us who are not independently wealthy, I would tell your daughter she is neither rich nor a white man. Therefore she has no reason to be a Republican.

4. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Then again, making the assumption that she believes her prosperity is better left in her hands than the government's, she has no reason to be a Democrat.

5. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

Tony: Perhaps if the private sector really worked all that well, you'd know there is no apostrophe in "yours"

Draft saved Draft deleted