1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Political Sociology -- SOMEBODY Finally Had The Guts To Write It

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Ben_Hecht, Apr 27, 2008.

1. No, but there's a certain level of importance attached to intolerance promoted and truckled to by the government as opposed to the tyranny of, say, the English Department. Damage is greater, too.

2. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

I'm a Southerner (at least six generations deep) who has lived in the Northeast the last 25 years, and I don't know about this. I read something nearly identical in The New Yorker in 1994, when Newt Gingrich and his buddies were taking over Congress. I'm not sure things are as simple and clearcut as this guy thinks they are. For one thing, though he nods toward all the Northerners moving into the South, he doesn't mention the fact that a whole bunch of African-Americans and an increasing number of Hispanics live there. They aren't the Jacksonian peasantry he sets up as his straw man here.
    I just think the characterization is a little too broad, the generalizations a little too sweeping.

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Simplistic and shallow, yes. And weakened by the broadness of the approach. But not pathetic, no. And not wholly bereft of truisms.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

And also filled with several mistakes and omissions.

5. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Is that an admittance of the weakness of modern liberalism or is it airing a personal frustration?

6. Agree thoroughly, although you and I might have had an argument back in 1994. I think one of the things that got wrecked over the past seven years is the Southernization of American politics. It's run its course, I think, especially since so much of the South is changing, and also, with the power rising in the purpling states of the upper Midwest and the Rockies.
    Piece is out of date.

7. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I did appreciate the point about Bush's "Texas accent that no one else in his family seems to have." Never thought about it, but he's right. F*ing Texan.

8. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Dubya wants everybody to forget that he was born in my home state of Connecticut. Of course I'd rather forget it too.

9. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

I think the writer's attempt to regionally characterize the trends he describes weakens the piece. Leads to too many sloppy generalizations and detracts from the fact that the dynamic he's identifying is real- athough as Fen observed, not exactly news at this point.

10. Yawn

Yawn New Member

OK..no answer from Fen. I guess "mighty power of The Left" is swathed with sarcasm.

11. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Seriously. If Bush was the idiot everyone makes him out to be here (which yes, he can be), then what does that say about those who were going to challenge him?

Draft saved Draft deleted