1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Political Cowardice: Chris Christie Edition

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Feb 18, 2012.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

What is Obama's stance on same sex marriage? I've honestly lost track and am too lazy to research.

2. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

You seem to be making the case that the legal framework as it currently stands is sufficient to allow for gay marriage, which is the route via which court-ordered legalization of gay marriage occurs. That has typically been decried by the Christies of the world as judicial activism, so I find it a bit odd that you seem to be advocating it.

Should interracial marriage have been put to a vote? There were plenty who felt that it threatened the fabric of society, etc.

3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Two Republicans in Maryland decided gay marriage IS a conservative value, by taking government decision/discrimination out of the equation last night. Frankly I'm stunned that it happened.

That said, assuming things hold tight in the state Senate (and the Senate building is named after the CURRENT Senate president, so that's how much sway he has) from last year, Maryland will pass a gay marriage bill over the next week.

However, it's pretty much a fucking lock that voters will decide the issue in November when enough signatures are gathered online to put the issue to referendum. Unless of course the state's highest court sees things through the same civil rights prism. But even then, I'm not sure it would matter.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

When the president has the balls to support it, then we can criticize those who don't.

5. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Disagree. We can also call out the president for his cowardice, too. But first congress would have to let a bill get to his desk. And odds of that happening are allllllllllllmost as high as the odds that you'll ever hit behind Barry Bonds at Pac Bell, or whatever the fuck it's called, with a hummer from Jenni Garth waiting for you afterward.

6. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

This makes no sense.

Repeal DOMA and I am betting the President will sign the bill.

Otherwise, what kind of bill are they going to pass that isn't going to immediately get thrown out by the courts? You don't have a commerce clause argument. Maybe full faith and credit, but that's got to go through the courts, too. I suppose you could tie it to highway funding like they do with the drinking age. But there would have to be political will for it in the Senate.

The President got a full repeal of DADT done and the Justice Department just announced it will no longer defend the law banning military benefits for same-sex partners. I think that shows pretty clearly what this administration does over what it controls outside the Congress.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm for gay marriage. I think it's fucking absurd that it's not legal. But I think it speaks volumes that politicians who are very likely tor it (Christie, Obama) are scared of it.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Give Obama time. If he's re-elected, I have a feeling he'll come out for it.

Right now, he's playing the four-corners offense until Election Day with this issue, figuring that since he's already getting ripped on for attacking religious freedom with the birth control issue, why give the Bible-thumpers another reason to screech?

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

That's not why.

It's because he doesn't want to alienate black voters.

10. 1. You won't find me complaining about "judicial activism." I view the judiciary as the third line of defense of individual liberty in our constitutional system. The legislature can repeal infringing laws, the executive can refuse to enforce them, or the judiciary can strike them.*

2. The court should decide whether same-sex marriage is constitutionally mandated when heterosexual marriage is provided for (i.e., whether the current laws violate "civil rights" — the 14th Amendment). If not, then it should be put up for a vote. (Even if it's not mandated, that doesn't mean that the people can't add it themselves.) If it is constitutionally mandated, the court should strike the current marriage laws unless the legislature is wiling to include same-sex marriage.

*I think your statement about finding it "odd" that <b>I</b> seem to be OK with "judicial activism" goes back to a too-simple R/D distinction. Things aren't that simple.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Hence, this is why he's waiting.

He comes out for it, the right-wing shriekosphere goes nuts, and black voters who don't agree with him decide to stay home.

12. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Good thing he's a "different kind of politician."

Draft saved Draft deleted