1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Political correctness strikes the music industry ... well, sort of.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by old_tony, Jan 21, 2007.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Yep, you're right, I confused Petty songs.

2. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Dire Straits blow goats, but the lyric should stand. The whole world should know how stupid the song was in its original incarnation. More importantly, I disagree with censoring music.

And let's leave the "PC" red herring out of it, please.

Funny cartoon I saw back in the 1990s: two people in a suburban front yard. In the background, a cross is burning. At left is a man with a tight-lipped look of disgust. Facing him at right is a man in KKK garb who is gesturing as if speaking. The caption: "Oh, I suppose I'm not being politically correct!"

3. DyePack

DyePack New Member

I was OK with the song until MTV started running it into the ground.

Now that MTV is down to recycling the same programming about juveniles, I can listen to it again.

4. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

So what's new about this? Political correctness/censorship struck the music industry decades ago. See: Domino, Fats/Boone, Pat .

5. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Say what you want about Dire Straights, but Mark Knoffler has a new CD out that's not that bad. The duet with Emmylou Harris is pretty good.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Yeah, as has been pointed out on many other threads, the people who complain about "political correctness" are usually the ones who just made a blatant racist, sexist or homophobic statement and think there's nothing wrong with it.

It's got nothing to do with freedom of speech but everything to do with being a mouth-breathing doofus.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

So let's get...to the point...let's roll...anotherrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr....

Draft saved Draft deleted