1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Political correctness strikes the music industry ... well, sort of.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by old_tony, Jan 21, 2007.

1. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

You can still call women "bitches and hoes," in rap. But you can't use a certain word to describe an effeminite man.

I just got a new iPod this week and am downloading boatloads of my CDs into it. I've reached the "Very Best of Dire Straits" CD and am reminded now that in the song "Money For Nothing" on the disc, the verse "The little faggot with the ear-ring and the make up, yeah, buddy, that's his own hair. That little faggot's got his own jet airplane. That little faggot is a millionaire" has been eliminated from the song. It's nowhere to be found.

Anyone else have the disc and noticed this?

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

No.
    But that is annoying that music is being edited.

As far as your thread title, should a Republican ever be talking about political correctness? Isn't that an oxymoron?

3. old_tony

I'm a conservative, not a Republican. Never, ever registered as one and don't intend to. But political correctness has always been something the left had hoisted upon us, not the right.

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I just knew you were on the right of me, nothing more. As far as political correctness, I always thought it was the right. Oh well. At any rate, your music shouldn't have been changed no matter what party you look toward and no matter what side of the fence you lean on over good/bad music.

5. old_tony

I'm definitely right of you, that much I've gathered. But I will say you're interesting and not one to sit and lob insults and I appreciate that. Couldn't agree with you more about how the song shouldn't have been changed. As my own form of protest, I'm deliting the song from my iTunes and will only listen to some of the other songs of theirs.

It reminds me, too, of an old Nat King Cole/Dean Martin song (I have the Nat King Cole 100-song box set) called "Open up the Dog House (Two Cats are Coming in). There's a point where they're bantering back and forth about their women and how they can't let the women get the upper hand, and Dean Martin says, "We gotta slap 'em!" And I'm thinking, "Wow, there's no way this song would be allowed to be played on the radio nowadays." A very different time (and I'm very glad that time is long behind).

6. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

It sounds like, from the song's wikipedia entry, that Mark Knoffler was just sick of taking shit over the song, and edited it out of future recordings. I think he makes a good point here in a RS interview:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Money_for_Nothing_(song)

It's interesting how many people fail to understand that people don't always write songs or books from first-person perspective. Philip Roth's characters may hate women, but it doesn't mean Philip Roth does. (Oddly, the same it true of Eminem, though you can probably get carried away trying to deconstruct the layers of Marshall Mathers that may not actually even exist.)

7. old_tony

Interesting. Thanks for the info. Although I would think Knoffler could just as easily have used a single different word (such as the Wikipedia entry notes "mother" was used in some versions) -- maybe weirdo or something else along those lines -- instead of just taking out the whole verse.

8. DyePack

DyePack New Member

I think too many people are dumb. Anyone who listens to that and thinks Knopfler is singing his point of view is a fucktard, and he should have said that to the moron who criticized him.

9. A little history. "Political correctness" was a term used ironically by members of the New Left of the 1960's on people in their own groups who were humorlessly devout in their politics. It became a term of art -- and a cudgel -- when that truthless wingnut welfare case Dinesh D'Souza applied it in a book to things that were happening in academia. It quickly morphed from that to a handy excuse if you want to be the same kind of ignorant bigot your grandparents were. As for "political correctness" being a tool exclusively of The Left, and for examples with real-world consequences, I would suggest you consult the encyclopedia under "Palmer, A. Mitchell," "McCarran, Patrick," "McCarthy, Joseph," "Hoover, J. Edgar," "COINTELPRO Program," and "Chicks, Dixie."
    As to the question at hand, my CD has all the lyrics. This is stupid and patronizing by whoever's responsible, the Huck Finn fight all over again.

10. I don't have much love for political correctness. It pretty much says screw you to the first amendment, the same amendment that gives us our jobs.

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

It's been years and years, but I could have sworn there was a radio edit of that song when it was first released that left out that lyric. I also remember Tom Petty's "Last Dance for Mary Jane" had a radio edit that left out "let's roll another joint" from the chorus.

12. DyePack

DyePack New Member

There was. I didn't know that line existed for years because the radio never played it and MTV wasn't part of the cable system at that time.

I think that's a different Tom Petty song, though, with that line, and I've always heard it when the radio plays the song.

"U Don't Know How It Feels"

Draft saved Draft deleted