1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Political correctness run amok or pants pulled down gone too far?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Apr 13, 2011.

1. I got pantsed in high school - in front of the most of the school - during lunch.
    It was pretty embarassing.
    I grabbed the dude by the balls and told him if he ever did that again I would pull'em off.
    He was twice my size. Not really a bully, just a goofus who could be often be a jackass.

He never did it again.
    And I never again wore a set of pants or shorts without a belt to school. EVER.

2. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Yeah, if you want to embarrass a kid nowadays, pull up his pants.

3. Double J

Double J Active Member

If he ever wakes up from his medically induced coma, John Steigerwald intends to ask him why he thought it was a good idea to not wear a sturdy belt when there was a history of out-of-control pantsing at that school going back several years.

4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

You know, its really easy to solve this problem, DON'T DO IT. Its always the perpetrator complaining after the fact. The victim is almost always just minding their business, trying to get through it, and the bully seizes on the perceived weakness. The only reason this does not happen more often is that some of the perceived weaker ones actually fight back.

Don't give me the "who got hurt?" BS. Yeah its easy to say when you're not the one getting subjected to it. When was the last time the bully got pantsed? Ever? No. Never happens.

Its not about pussification/wussyfication, its about common decency and telling people victimization is not acceptable behavior. Take a poll, 99% of the people saying its okay are the ones who have never been subjected to it.

FULL DISCLOSURE: I was always the smallest guy in class and my only recourse was to make sure that I picked big friends/protectors. Many others did not have that choice and they were victimized. My oldest (11) is one of the sweetest kids around, would never ever think of bullying anyone (except his younger brother) yet he's been subjected to "horsing" around at middle school and it breaks my heart that I have to tell him that yeah its not right but you cannot make everyone follow the rules. I have to teach him how to avoid being perceived as a weakling, someone who can be bullied, which means getting physical at times if necessary.

5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Before anyone says it, I'm sure some bullies were pantsed or nutpunched or whatever and it didn't bother them. That's irrelevant, though, because it *does* bother some kids, and they have a right not to be subjected to it.

6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Call it Darwinism, but the bully you're taking about? Yeah he got pantsed by his older brother/bigger friend/father, and rather than fight back, he went and picked on the little defenseless guy.

Draft saved Draft deleted