1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Political correctness run amok or pants pulled down gone too far?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Apr 13, 2011.

1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I'm beginning to not be sure if you truly have a problem with my aversion to that.

2. secretariat

secretariat Active Member

Oh, I know, Ace. Was just busting shotty's balls a little. I think Rick nailed it in that I'm not sure what political correctness has to do with anything.

EDIT: Please read this post, shotty, as an answer to your post.

3. jr/shotglass

Political correctness has a hell of a lot to do with it, and with many such issues.

When I was in junior high, some of our jocks spent two weeks going around punching their friends in the balls for a laugh.

Had school officials gotten involved with that, it would have been much uglier than it turned out to be. The victims gritted their teeth, lived through it, and some actually had kids.

4. secretariat

That reads an awful lot like "The pussification of America continues."

Just because things were accepted or ignored 20, 30 or 40 years ago doesn't make it right.

5. jr/shotglass

Boy, if it only read "an awful lot" like "The pussification of America continues," then I probably shouldn't tiptoe around the issue so much.

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I think "political correctness" is being interpreted as "things that are different than they used to be that I don't like because they are different."

7. jr/shotglass

Oh, jesus.

I'm sorry that some things from the 1970s and 1980s worked. I know that bothers some.

8. secretariat

So it worked that asshole teens were allowed to crotch-punch people without consequence?

That's an interesting theory.

9. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I'm guessing your evidence that they worked is anecdotal/gut feeling?

10. jr/shotglass

Walking away and letting the two of you dribble in unimpeded for the layup.

11. secretariat

Nope. I'm done if you are.

12. One of school's senior bullies did that to his freshman cousin. .. Hit him in the balls with his class ring and instandly brought the 97-pound kid to his knees and tears.
    A vice principal came by as the bullies and shit-head friend are holding the kid up by his arm. The kid's bawling but wouldn't rat. Nothing happened.
    This was the early 90s.

Draft saved Draft deleted