1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Political correctness run amok or pants pulled down gone too far?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Apr 13, 2011.

1. Marietta Ohio kid gets pantsed at school. The kid who pulled the prank is facing criminal chages and at least one school official who didn't punish the pantser is on leave...
    http://www.mariettatimes.com/page/content.detail/id/535212/Harmless-prank-or-crime-.html?nav=5002

Too much political correctness here?

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It sounds like a case where there is more to the story. A single incident? Probably too much. Another in a long line of incidents? Maybe now the kid will wise up.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Seems odd that they'd rely solely on the pantser's dad for the info that the boys are friends and the other kid was OK with it. Maybe that's true, but I can more easily see that easily not being the case. I also see a dad who is completely unwilling to deal with his kid's behavior.

If it's a $300 fine and an inconvenience, that's the equivalent of a severe speeding ticket. Consider it a life lesson learned. The kid and the dad could use one.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I'm split on the issue (no pun intended).

On the one hand, it's understandable that the school wants to avoid bullying issues, and to avoid being sued by the kid getting pantsed.

But at the same time, the kid who pulled down the pants has documented behavorial issues and problems with the school cop. The school needed to come up with a plan for issues like these sooner than later. Unfortunatly, like many schools, they didn't.

Not all kids learn discipline the same way. One-size-fits-all doesn't necessarily work with a special needs kid.

5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Meh, let the kid off, he'll be in jail in a few years anyway.

6. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

How much of a dick do I have to act like before I can get someone to agree that cops aren't allowed to talk to me? Because I like a challenge, and I think I could be that dickish.

7. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

Everybody actin like a fool cause this kid's pants on the ground.

8. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

If you have a thread that includes the question if political correctness has run amok ...

... political correctness has probably run amok.

9. secretariat

secretariat Active Member

If someone says to you "I hope you don't have kids," is he or she being a dick, or has political correctness run amok?

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I blame the victim for not having a sturdy belt!

Actually, it seems that the nub of the issue isn't political correctness but an ongoing beef between the kid and the school cop.

11. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I'm also not sure how political correctness enters this.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Since that other thread was locked at that point, can I point out that I don't think the poster meant that he hoped another poster NEVER passed his seed along.

It seemed to me he meant that the hoped the poster he was responding to wasn't currently a parent because he didn't seem to display the proper level of empathy for someone with a daughter.

Draft saved Draft deleted