1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Political correctness has ruined country humor."

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by KG, Aug 28, 2008.

1. KG

KG Active Member

It's stupid, but if you understood the antics of this hillbilly joke, you'd know that it's as harmless as some old man at church teasing a kid and saying he's going to "get their nose" (you know, by brushing the nose and then sticking the tip of the thumb between the index and middle finger, pretending it's the tip of the kid's nose). If someone were to say that in front of this woman, she'd have them arrested for threatening to disfigure the faces of the girls with brutal physical abuse.

2. lono

lono Active Member

Maybe, maybe not.

Without actually being there to see his face, his mannerisms, hear his tone and watch his actions, I'd have a hard time drawing a blanket conclusion.

He could have been as harmless as Otis the Drunk, but looked/acted like Hannibal Lecter.

3. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

We do that in the city, too.

We just never give the nose back.

Then we rob the kid.

4. KG

KG Active Member

Damn city people...

At least we country folks give the nose back.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

It would first have to be humorous to be ruined.

7. Yodel

Yodel Active Member

Political correctness or not, this was not a sexual innuendo. It was just an Appalachian way of saying, "Those are beautiful children." I can understand why that kind of thing might not translate in other parts of the country, but in that setting, it's strange that the lady didn't get the comment.

Weird story all around.

8. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

You're assuming she's local. Hell, I'm from that part of the world and I wouldn't have gotten it.

Bad form to assume that somebody's gonna not be offended when you don't know them.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

That might be the funniest thing I've ever seen here.

This is why I dig Pallister, despite his bumpkin tendencies. :D :D :D

10. SigR

SigR Member

In general response to this thread:

-You don't have a right to not be offended.

-Not everyone who looks at your kid is a pedophile: stop watching law and order.

-People say odd things all the time. Usually odd does not equal malevolent.

-The thought police in this country need to go fuck themselves.

Draft saved Draft deleted