1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Political correctness has ruined country humor."

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by KG, Aug 28, 2008.

1. KG

KG Active Member

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,410422,00.html

OK, maybe it's just because I'm from the country, but I get the joke. What I don't get is how this woman came to the conclusion that he was planning to use the girls for sexual play things. I mean seriously, what planet has she been living on? Harlan is just about as backwoods (apple-atch-in country) as it can get in the United States, so this woman should have heard jokes like that made before.

The part at the end about the fiberglass bull just blew me away. I'm at a loss for words.

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

"Quote heds are lame."

I keed.

3. lono

lono Active Member

People have no sense of humor when it comes to their own children, or in this case, younger relatives. Nor should they.

While having him arrested was extreme, a firm, well placed kick to the scrotum would have sent an unmistakable message.

You don't make jokes about children to their guardian. Period.

4. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Prosecutors must not have much to do in Harlan, Ky.

5. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Rather than "Political correctness has ruined country humor," how about "Creepy old pol discovers he's not as funny as he thought he was"?

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

The idiot forgot the first rule of jokes: they have to be funny.

7. Grimace

Grimace Guest

Since the legal marrying age in that part of country (so I assume) is 10 years old, I can understand the mom's concern.

Or, I don't know, maybe she tought the offer of only one fattening hog was a ripoff. "My girls are worth three fattening hogs!"

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The thought of an old perv walking up to strange women with kids and saying that *is* funny. Not because he's funny, but in a "You are being ridiculously inappropriate and you don't even realize it," sort of way. Even funnier than that, though, is the woman not just cursing him out and walking away. She goes to the trouble of getting him arrested as a pedophile and he has to sit in jail for a few days in jail on a solicitation charge. The whole thing *is* funny. I'd say political correctness hasn't taken any of the humor out of the reality of the situation, in this case.

9. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

You're right that it's not funny, and that parents are and should be protective of their kids. That said, there is no way this guy should be in jail - that's insane.

10. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

Nothing I see in this story disposes me to weep over the injustices perpetrated by political correctness. If not jail, I think Otis should be placed in a pen with the other fattening hogs.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Q: How many politically correct people does it take to screw in a light bulb?
    A: That's not funny.

12. lono

lono Active Member

The perp will never leave Harlan alive.

Draft saved Draft deleted