1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Political Contributions from people in Sports media

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by eyeonsportsmedia, Dec 6, 2007.

1. I came across a site called NewsMeat that publishes the Federal Political Contributions of public figures since 1978. Have any of you come across this before? The full list of sports figures is at http://www.newsmeat.com/sports_political_donations/ and I have broken out media people at http://sportsontheair.blogspot.com/2007/12/political-contributions-by-people-in.html .

I thought it kind of morbid that they are including deceased people like Curt Gowdy and Howard Cossell (I left them off of my list). Did not see any execs from the NFL network or the print media on there though;-)

2. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Interesting. I knew some of the affiliations - Nantz, Michaels - but others were intriguing. Although if you want to take off dead people, Jack Buck should be removed.

3. Dangerous_K

Dangerous_K Active Member

That can't possibly be right.

4. Thanks for that catch. Hate when I miss ones like that...

5. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Forgot one:

Fenian Bastard $2.50 100% DEM @

@ check bounced

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

That's probably right. Charles memorably said, some time after the first election of W, "I used to be a Republican, until they lost their damn minds."

7. Dangerous_K

Wow, did not know that.

As for others listed, I am shocked - SHOCKED! - that every Nascar driver and golfer is Republican.

8. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

Criqui's affiliation isn't a surprise. My high school religion teacher showed us a video featuring members of the Bills and Redskins (around the time of their Super Bowl) talking about the pro-life movement. The narrator: Don Criqui.

I could have sworn that Digger Phelps was a Republican who contemplated running for public office, but all of his donations went to Dems.

9. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

As far as I know, Brad Faxon and Billy Andrade (who I don't think was listed on the link) are the only outspoken Dems on the PGA tour.

10. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

. . . and Bear Bryant (!)

What I can't believe is that Muhammad Ali gave 67% of his donations to the GOP. Muhammad "I don't want to fight no Viet Cong" Ali?

11. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Nah, Digger's a Dem. He's talked about running for president, though I think he used to say it would be more as an independent.

12. Dangerous_K

Yeah, I had heard Digger was an independent leaning left.

Draft saved Draft deleted