1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Policies on athlete signings?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HejiraHenry, Apr 16, 2010.

1. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

If it's a local player from of our five city/county high schools, we'll run a signing picture - at the table, pen in hand - doesn't matter if it's major DI or micro juco tech. In days of old I tried to resist that stuff but as I matured, I figured screw it, people in town like to see that stuff. If it's a bigger DI deal, there is usually a story to go along with it.

I did have to call BS a couple of times when people were invited to be walk-ons and wanted photos.

2. Walter_Sobchak

Walter_Sobchak Active Member

I'm incredibly intrigued by this one. This guy's a senior in high school, and he already has two kids that are both old enough to be on one knee, instead of being held by their father?

3. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Shoeless, how big is yer paper?

4. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Again, same issues. I will take a pic of a kid signing a D1 deal. That actually represents a reversal at my shop where such pics had not been done. They were considered "boring" by some of our staffers. I told them, you think they're boring, so what? Some of our customers don't think they're boring.

5. bwright

bwright Member

We run the photos. But in our area, a kid actually being eligible academically for a scholarship is kind of a big deal — We had four this year and two were JUCOs.

6. MCbamr

MCbamr Member

We send photographers out to shoot signings one day a year, the first Wednesday in February. Same rule at my last job. That's the only day it's a big story. When a kid signs with the Steelers right out of high school, we might reconsider.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I think the policy should be that you get something in the paper of every signing. Must just be a line for a kid signing a track scholarship with a junior college. Might be your top story if the stud quarterback goes to State U.

Beyond that, I would just weigh each item on the merits and the timeliness.

You are right, it does get tricky when some schools dribble out signings for a team. But it's also a pain in the ass with the local Division III football team releases a list of 50 signees.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I actually love the shots of the guy reaching for the hat of the school where he's going and putting it on, but it should only be reserved for elite prospects. Pick the top 2-3 guys and leave it at that. Readers really seem to love it.

It really depends on the market though.

9. Shoeless Joe

16K/day

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Most of those signing photos suck, though. Who thinks a wooden shot of a kid at a cheap table with a grinning mom and dad next to him and wooden coach and AD behind is good stuff?

11. Shoeless Joe

And therein lies the key to not just this but many topics of the day. What is boring/unworthy to us, it may be a big deal to the people who put coins in the slot.

Closer to 20 and fresh out of college, I came in sword in hand thinking "these people don't know what they want" and I'm here to show them. Now, closer to 40, I take a step back and realize it's not about what I think is good content, it's about what the local customer wants.

In this day and age, a photo of little Johnny signing to be a third string defensive back at a DIII school is going to be talked about a whole lot more than the optional AP story on Sam Bradford.

12. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Precisely.

Draft saved Draft deleted