1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Police want to question Pacman Jones about triple shooting in Vegas

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by thebiglead, Feb 19, 2007.

1. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Because God knows that the story an oft-in-trouble player who isn't a superstar demands expensive in-person coverage.

2. thebiglead

thebiglead Member

Are there other pressing issues with the Titans right now that need to be tended to? Was he not a first round pick? Wonder how Titans brass feels about more negative publicity - from a noted troublemaker - around a team that finished pretty strong.

How long before he infects VY?

3. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

How long before he infects Vince Young? Are you kidding? Just because he and Young are on the same time, you naturally assume that a) Jones will influence Young and b) Young will allow himself to be influenced by Jones.

What other pressing issues could the Titans have right now? Uhm, free agency, the combine, the draft, etc. To say that Jones is critical to the future of the Titans is, IMO, bunk, and to say local Tennessee newspapers should throw reporters onto planes and make the trip to Las Vegas, just to cover this hood, is odd.

4. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

As soon as Mr. TBL starts spelling mainstream rappers' last names correctly, I'll make him a daily stop.

5. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Not that I'm taking his side in the matter, but I'm sure the Titans are concerned. The guy is a top 10 pick not too long ago and a cornerstone of their defense and special teams. I'm sure if Jeff Fisher could, he'd put Adam Jones on house arrest and only let him out to practice and play.

6. thebiglead

thebiglead Member

Assuming you saw the report in the Review-Journal today ... and the stories about Pacman BITING THE LEG of one of the bouncers... Alley, is this still a non-story?

A bouncer is paralyzed and there is video and multiple witnesses (according to the story) who claim Pacman's peeps are to blame. This is creeping up on Ray Lewis-in-buckhead territory.

7. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

What, in theory, is the most severe punishment the NFL can give Pacman if this is true? It sounds nice to say the Titans should cut him, but when he just signs an incentive-laden deal with the Jags two days later and is returning punts for scores against you in your own division, that doesn’t work. That’s not fair to the Titans. And someone would pick him up if the Titans cut him, we all know that. The guy is ridiculously talented and one of the best return men in the league.

But can the NFL boot him? Suspend him for a year? I cover college sports and really don’t know much about the inner workings of the NFL, so I’m not sure what they could or couldn’t do.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Can't talk about punishment from the league until this plays out in court...

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Given that the NFLPA has been completely emasculated by the league, the Titans could probably chain Pacman to a light pole in front of the Grand Ole Opry and let Nashvillians pelt him with rocks and gravel for a week if they wanted to.

10. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Good point, but that’s why I tried to word it the way I did. Hard to speculate, but I guess I wanted to know if they could do anything if he wasn’t arrested … or if he was. Like what the difference would be.

11. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

So on those merits, it's worth sending a reporter from Tennessee to Vegas?

12. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Alley,

I've got to say, I'm surprised you are so against the idea. If I was an editor, I'd absolutely want to send a reporter.

This is a big deal.

Draft saved Draft deleted