1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Police tix today: Anyone else get blue balls from Ticketmaster?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BYH, Feb 20, 2007.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

Just when I thought it was impossible to hate that monopoly any more...this morning, I TWICE managed to find a single ticket for a Police show at MSG in August. Would rather go with someone, of course, but there were no double seats to be found anywhere and I'm far more into this than my wife.

I inputted my info, hit send to charge my credit card...and TWICE got an error message. Tickets didn't go thru. Looks like I'm SOL. The "good" news? The Police are playing Giants Stadium Aug. 5 and tix go on sale Monday. I swore I'd never again go to Giants Stadium for a show after it took me three hours to make a 75-minute trip last summer for Bon Jovi [/lighting myself on fire]. But they've got me by the gonads. I really want to see this show. (Thereby justifying ticketmaster's lack of customer service...if fans want it bad enough, they'll put up with anything)

Anyone else get blue balls today from those rat bastards at Ticketmaster?

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm afraid to ask how much tickets cost once you factor in the huge fee Ticketmaster rapes you for...

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

No. but it looks like it's your destiny to be the king of pain with this...

4. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Not today, but I'm dreading having to use the Web for this. I much prefer to go to the local record store, stand in line, and get my tickets handed to me by a human being. Unfortunately, those situations are largely going the way of the dodo, especially since my local Tower records closed.

I hate online tickets. When trying to get Metallica tickets through their club, you log on at the start time, and no tickets are available. Five minutes later, shitty tickets are available, so you grab what you can get. Five minutes after that, better tickets. Five minutes after that, the floor is available.

I HATE Internet ticket sales. Gimme a human being anytime.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

I got one ticket in another zip code (section 400 at MSG) for $54. After all the anal rapage fees, it was $72 and change.

It's unreal what we'll justify when it comes to entertainment. I looked at it like, well, better to pay $72 for one guy who really wants to go to the show than $154 for two tix, one of whom goes to my wife the casual music fan.

Piotr, do you have any FYE stores near you? A couple near me are Ticketmaster outlets. I may go there tonight for shits and giggles to see if they have any single ducats. And I may very well go there on Monday morning if I decide to go to the Giants Stadium show. The online thing was fucking frustrating.

6. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

FYE? Not sure what that is . . .

I did just look it up at the ticketmaster Web site, and apparently some local grocery stores are listed as outlets. I have no doubt they're only outlets when seeking sports seats.

I miss staying up all night, camping out in front of MusicPlus or Tower Records. I miss "cash only" in those lines, with people screaming at dummies to hurry the hell up. It sucks now for those who stand in line, because they take credit cards, which takes forever as you imagine snot-nosed, pimply-faced kids in front of their computers getting the tickets you could be getting if it weren't for the a-hole in front of you trying to look at the seating chart instead of just getting the damn ducats and moving the hell on.

But . . . the Internet simply doesn't work when trying to squeeze into a 10- or 15-minute window to get high demand tickets for a show.

Nor does the phone, for that matter.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

FYE = For Your Entertainment. I think the official title might be f.y.e. It's a Tower-esque place, though I've never been there.

I could not agree more with you re: the days of camping out. Those were good times. Stay up all night, get good tickets, stay up all day, enter a state of semi-lucidity around 5 pm and then get the third wind around nightfall.

I remember camping out for Bryan Adams tickets [/where are those matches] in 1992 or 1993. We got great tickets, had a great time and my friends thanked me after the show for staying out all night to get the tix.

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I can't imagine camping out for the newest Star Wars or PS3 or Harry Potter book is half as fun as camping out for concert tickets.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

I went to pick up my wife shortly after midnight at a bookstore following the release of the latest Harry Potter book. Oh...my...God. It was like GeekCon '05. There were all these role playing games and costume contests. It was just awful.I told her I had no idea who she was anymore.

If ever there was a situation screaming for Triumph the Insult Comic Dog, it's camping out for Harry Potter books.

10. pallister

pallister Guest

That's what you get for buying overpriced tickets for overrated and over-the-hill bands.

Search local clubs/smaller venues in your area and I guarantee you'll not only find cheaper tickets, but better music. At least if you have any taste in music :)

11. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Yes, because we all know the best way to impress your friends is to go watch somebody noone else has ever heard of.

12. pallister

pallister Guest

First off, shotty, I have no friends to impress. And you know as well as I do that these reunion megaconcerts often megasuck.

And Junkie,
    Swing away, big boy.

Draft saved Draft deleted