1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Police shoot Pace University football player

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smallpotatoes, Oct 21, 2010.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Most City employees have to live in the City limits or get a waiver. Waivers are usually restricted to people who have special skills, say computer programmers or engineers that can't otherwise be easily hired. Some political hires can also get waivers, but they can become controversial and are pretty rare.

NYPD & FDNY have to live in the state. (I think teachers have the same deal.) So, while some will live in places like the Rockaways (the Irish Riviera) in Queens, most live in either Nassau or Suffolk on Long Island or in upper Westchester, Rockland, or Orange counties.

This makes for a long commute.

Here in Chicago, Cops & Fireman do have to reside in the City & it pisses them off.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

They can live outside city but they get free passage on rail which to those working Manhattan is a pretty good deal.

Another nice feature is 20 years and out retirement with full benefits. You can be in your early 40s and move on to new career.

It's a pension system that is really killing New York State

3. Boom_70

Bringing this back up because it shows the selectivness of what cases are chosen to be tried
    in the court of social media.

White cop shoots black unarmed college football player and ends up being named cop of year by his local
    department. Kid left on street to die while EMT's attended to cop

How come Al Sharpton chose not to put his organization behind this one
    as a metaphor for social justice?

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

If only everyone were as smart as you.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Because drunk drivers aren't as cool as convenience-store robbers.

6. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

The obvious difference is the community reaction. The reason the Ferguson shooting blew up, got Sharpton involved, became the social media firestorm, etc. is because of how the city rioted afterward--which made it impossible for the rest of the nation to ignore. If Weschester, NY had reacted the same way I'm quite sure this story would've been much bigger as well.

7. Boom_70

Kinda of where I'm at with emphasis on the "Sharpton did not get involved" Without
    Sharpton and gang working the media, story loses some buzz. I also think
    that the parents did not want the attention. From what I read the family is middle class and the father is a fairly successful business executive.

Had all the makings of a media circus in place including video of EMT's treating cop
    while kid lay on pavement dying 3 minutes from a trauma center. Topped of by
    his fellow officers naming the cop policemen of the year for his actions.

Sad story. This kids only fault was that he did not hear the cops instructions and drove off.

Imagine if Ferguson PD named Wilson Policemen of The Year.

8. Jim_Carty

Jim_Carty Member

You're vastly oversimplifying the Pace incident.

The kid was drunk and driving directly at the police officer. Everyone agreed he was driving directly at the officer. There were no differing versions of events among witnesses. He may not have heard instructions, but that still does not explain driving directly at someone in your path.

And, yes, to most people it's pretty understandable that if you're driving directly at a cop, and you don't stop, he may shoot you. It sucks and it's a tragedy, but it's a lot different from what happened at Ferguson where - at least according to some witnesses - Brown was gunned down while standing still, with his hands up.

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

That's what a simpleton does.

10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Al Sharpton is the most powerful journalist in America.

11. Boom_70

So you're willing to accept the facts in Henry case as gospel but not apply the same logic to the Brown case.

In Henry case a number of eyewitnesses said that the cop jumped on hood of car. Was that good policing in a simple college bar fight situation? This was not a call to an armed robbery. Wouldn't it have been safer to just get the kids license plate # and perhaps follow him in police car to apprehend him.

Yes it was found that Henry had a BAL above legal limit but just the same Brown
    was found to have enough THC in his system that would have put him about the legal
    limit of impairment for states that have such laws on the books.

12. Jim_Carty

Jim_Carty Member

Thank you for reminding me why I don't engage with you on this board. I will return to doing so after this post.

Your analogy fails. Anyone familiar with the facts of the Pace matter - and I'm intimately familiar for personal reasons that have nothing to do with either side's version of events - knows that it was essentially undisputed that the driver, for whatever reason, was driving directly at the police officer. Again, this fact is essentially the same in every witness account. That's what makes it different from Ferguson, i.e. one incident has a consistency of witness accounts, one does not. Your attempt to force the failed analogy here not withstanding.

Draft saved Draft deleted