1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Police say Ray Rice is a big Lawrence Phillips fan

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Feb 19, 2014.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

In the old days I would disagree but now that the NFL seems to be in backpedaling
    mode I don't see how they can spin Rice back onto the field.

They need to set an example for the youth of America.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

What's so odd to me is the way teams/executives don't get ahead of some things.

The Dolphins have to cut ties with Ingognito, Jerry and Pouncey, right?

The Ravens have to get rid of Rice.

I don't get the whole, "we're aware of the charges and it is under review," way of thinking. Do you need to talk to HR and Legal? Sure. That should take an hour.

Just the idea that this might not be a "fireable offense" is crazy to me.

When these guys pull on your jersey, they represent you. They represent your brand, your city, and the owner himself.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Not to beat a dead horse, and I'm about to bow out for a few hours here anyway, but dead-on. He can't play. Not after Aaron Hernandez. Not after, whether you think it's overblown or not, the concussion lawsuit and bad press and "League of Denial." Not after the Dolphins report. Not after the neanderthal culture discussed in the Sports Illustrated Michael Sam piece. Not in 2014. He can't play.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

5. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Maybe they're reviewing it trying to find a way to spin it if he doesn't go to prison and is back on the field next season.

6. YankeeFan

When I was in high school, the trains would occasionally skip our stop, and kids would find themselves in Midtown Manhattan. (Or, sometimes, we would just pretend the train didn't stop.)

Kids would often explore the city a little bit, including Times Square (pre-Disney rebirth) before finding a train to take them back to school.

Now, all of this was usually occurred without incident. But, at some point, during an assembly, our Principal made the point that if we were going to cut school, visit Times Square, buy fake ID's, or buy a beer, you better not be wearing your high school letter jacket.

If you were, then you were representing our school, and there was going to be consequences.

Ray Rice may not have been wearing his Raven's jersey when he knocked out his fiance, but if I own or manage the team, I never let him represent the team again.

7. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

The Ray Lewis thing happened after Rae Carruth.
    The cause-and-effect being hinted at here does not hold up to scrutiny.
    This is a league pushing for more games despite being sued by thousands of ex-players.
    It does not care about image- not over the green.

8. Boom_70

I blame Greg Schiano. It's the culture he built at Rutgers.

9. YankeeFan

Oh, trust me, I know.

When I was at Continental, I avoided running anything past legal whenever I could. They would take forever, and of course were entirely risk adverse, so if you asked for permission to do anything, they were likely to say no.

I much preferred to ask for forgiveness as opposed to permission.

We once went an entire baseball season before we got our sponsorship contract with the Yankees back from legal. By that time, we had already paid the fee, and received the benefits (such as they were) from them.

But, assuming they are risk adverse, they would likely want to find a way to separate the team from Rice ASAP.

HR and Legal should be prepared for this kind of thing. There should be procedures in place to get it done, and avoid legal problems.

10. JC

JC Well-Known Member

If he can play, he will be signed by someone.

11. Boom_70

Long Island football overall is good when you combine Nassau
    and Suffolk. Jim Brown - 'nuff said

12. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

[/quote]
    Forgot about Vick pretty quickly? He sat out years. Its arguably the biggest NFL story this century. It is STILL brought up all the time.

Draft saved Draft deleted