1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Police say Ray Rice is a big Lawrence Phillips fan

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Feb 19, 2014.

1. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Working for a scumbag organization and its equally low-class fan base does no harm.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

In degrees of career ending, Ray Rice has trumped Richie Incognito
    which will make things difficult for Goodell and The Players Association.

3. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Would you rather Ray Rice issue an empty apology written by team flacks? Because that's all you'll get. If you want "heartfelt," you're looking in the wrong place.

4. MisterCreosote

The same level of sickening depravity needed to torture and kill hundreds of dogs?

Or getting drunk and killing someone in your car?

Because the league and fans sure forgot about those pretty quickly.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

When Paul Crew beat up his girlfriend, stole her car and drove it into
    the drink that was pretty much history on his NFL career, on top of fixing
    games.

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Oh, I get that. I'm just being a dick.

Rice is a local hero in the area where I grew up. The level of football there is not great, and for folks like my brother who was a high school football star, it was a big deal when he made it to the NFL.

And, his public image appeared to be pretty good.

I'm sure we'll learn now -- and H.L. Mencken hinted at it already -- that all the journalists who covered him knew all along that he was an asshole.

7. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

The league is full of wife-beaters. The Hall of Fame has a few of them itself.

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Is Rice still good enough to overcome this though? Especially when you factor in a suspension, or possibly even some jail time?

If they actually have video of this, they won't need her to cooperate with a prosecution. You've got to assume they will prosecute to the fullest extent of the law.

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Completely different.

First, keep in mind that it took Vick, what, three years of hard time to get his second chance. Second, sorry, but dogs aren't people. There is an animal rights lobby, for sure. They are vocal. But the human lobby is larger. And more vocal. It includes, well, everybody. The NFL can afford to piss off PETA. The NFL can't afford to alienate 50 percent of the population.

Plus - and I know this isn't politically correct, but I believe it to be true - there was a cultural context to the dog-fighting that permitted people to forgive or, at least, understand. Maybe it was paternalistic. Maybe it was even racist. But it was there. Nobody is going to think that Ray Rice doesn't know any better than to KO his fiancee. Nobody.

And the drunk driving thing isn't sick or depraved. It's reckless. It's irresponsible. It's criminal. But, ultimately, it's not intentional.

10. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Don't forget Terrell Suggs allegedly pouring bleach on his fiance and child.

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Not on tape he didn't.

12. MisterCreosote

I'm sorry if you were offended by what I wrote. It was disrespectful and not a reflection of my personal views. I look forward to putting it behind me and getting back to what I do best - posting on message boards.

Draft saved Draft deleted