1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Police release photos of couple ODing with child in backseat

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MisterCreosote, Sep 9, 2016.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yeah. It's in the police report.

Granted. These people are assholes and addicts. But addiction makes assholes of everyone it hooks.

Doctors know that a about a fourth of the people they prescribe strong pain pills to are at risk of becoming addicted.

2. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

My father in law had back surgery a couple months ago. Super straight edge guy, never had a beer and started drinking the occasional glass of wine or cooler maybe 15 years ago.

He has been prescribed Morphine and Oxycodone. Everyone is super paranoid about potential opioid addiction including him.

We were visiting and I was finally the tipping point in him agree to try prescribed marijuana for the pain.

Hopefully it takes the edge off.

3. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

You just want some of his MJ, man!

4. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Ha. He's down in Florida where coincidentally there is a ballot measure for less restrictive marijuana laws, heard the radio ads non stop.

Here in Canuckistan I could probably have a bag within an hour even though I am not very connected anymore!

Vombatus likes this.
  5. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Good Lord, those pictures are awful.

6. Vombatus

Something I have always wondered about though - would photos like these and of other situations (I am thinking homicides and mass shootings) act as a deterrent?

I know you don't want to further harm and victimize survivors and families, but what if crime scenes were publicized in gory detail? What if we could see the bodies of little kids at Newtown all piled up?

Might give even more momentum for change to gun laws.

But, it might also drag out more lone nut behavior of folks trying to up their body count over previous records, and getting their "results" published.

I'm sure the press has done things a certain way for good reasons ever since photography was invented, but what if published photos really told more of the truth of the horror?

We are sort of getting some of that online now through videos captured by witnesses.

Thoughts?

7. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

A few years ago in Maine, the governor vetoed a bill that would require firefighters, paramedics and EMTs to carry Narcan.
    He felt it would encourage people to use heroin more if they knew there was a safety net.
    I doubt addicts are that rational.
    Also, what he's saying is sort of like saying cars shouldn't have seat belts or air bags because it would encourage drivers to drive into brick walls (or deer, sorry I took that joke away from everyone else).
    Not the best comparison, admittedly, but what he said doesn't make sense.

Donny in his element likes this.
  8. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I don't have a strong feel either way about whether said photos should be made public. But these photos ... Wow, they're rough.

9. Vombatus

Agree. And, after they serve their time (IF they serve any), they probably will have a tough time getting jobs, etc.

The power of images and videos is pretty amazing. It is a main reason for the anti-police brutality and BLM movements.

The pen is mightier than the sword, but the camera is even mightier than the pen.

10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I'm 40 and single, and I go out quite a bit, but I don't seem to run into the sort of crowd that uses heroin, so I haven't been exposed to it, outside of the news stories that I've read. Those stories are enough of a deterrent for me to even think about it, or to want to go down the road of being prescribed Oxy or Vicodin or whatever for pain. The whole idea makes my skin crawl.

11. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

LePage is batshit, but there is anecdotal evidence of addicts getting revived with Narcan, getting released from the ER and going right to their next score. These folks are so strung out that they don't realize or appreciate how close to the ledge they were.

12. I am sure these photos will be a deterrent.
    Heroin addicts tuning into the 6 o'clock news or getting their morning paper will see these photos and think, "Wow, is that what I look like? I'm done. I need help."

If you look hard enough you see this stuff all over social media. Regular people post this stuff all the time. Last week a guy around here posted video of guy high on Flocka swimming in a parking lot.

These people don't care. It's not going to change. There will ALWAYS be addicts.
    It doesn't mean we should not try to combat addiction. But the current efforts aren't working and no one (seems interested) in changing tactics.
    I'm in the thin the herd camp. Let them OD. Give them as much as they want and let them OD. They are a blight on society.
    That kid was almost no hope. That's the heartbreaking part. Those folks should have never had kids. He's got a shit life ahead of him through no fault of his own.

Draft saved Draft deleted