1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Police pepper spray, arrest Cedric Benson

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Diabeetus, May 4, 2008.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I usually do not lean this way on these things, but they just picked his boat out for a safety inspection?

Sounds like "boating" while black to me.

Sure, I would like to know if this boat was rockin' it like Minnetonka, because if you are blaring hard core rap music on a public lake in Texas, you are sort of inviting a few uniformed guests. But if they were just hanging out just like everyone else, then Cedric might have a beef.

Although, telling officers that he is not going to go with them, no matter how politely you say it, does not make it right.

I know I live in a different world, but if a police officer says come here, I go there.

2. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Not necessarily singling him out. He certainly wasn't the only black man on the lake. However, without understanding more of the circumstances (was his boating cutting off others, were they being loud or rowdy, etc.) it's hard to immediately indict the officer JUST because Benson is black. That's a Whitlock kind of argument.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

You are 100 percent corect.

There needs to be much more detail into the 15 minutes before the police decided to do a safety test.

But if he was making a lot of noise and being wild, why didn't the police just say that?

4. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Not sure. Maybe they did and it either wasn't told to the reporter, or something.

5. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

I have a friend whose father usually fishes out in Lake Travis where Benson was arrested. She said anytime her brother and dad, who are both about Benson's skin color, use their boat or waverunner, they get flagged down by the cops almost everytime.

I didn't know Whitlock claimed ownership over the obvious.

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

First pics from the boat.
    http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/cs-080507-cedric-benson-chicago-bears-arrested,1,3135266.story
    Hey, where the white women at? /Cleavon Little

7. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Regardless, the Bears set precident with the Tank Johnson release last year that this should be enough to turf him. Please. He's terrible. Just get rid of the useless piece of crap. [/Bearsloserfanboy]

8. zimbabwe

zimbabwe Active Member

Amen.

I only wish Grossman, Orton, Angelo and Turner had been on the boat, too.

9. Witnesses are backing Benson.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3388183

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

free cedric.

11. What is this, "Tom Digs Up Old Threads" night?

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i call it hitting the "show new replies to your posts" night after going for a week-long walk. glad to see you missed me.

Draft saved Draft deleted