1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Police pepper spray, arrest Cedric Benson

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Diabeetus, May 4, 2008.

1. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Doesn't he usually go down easier than that?

2. pallister

pallister Guest

That's an ignorant comment. As bad as Benson's been — and I hope he gets suspended as a prelude to being cut — the Bears got Thomas' Jones' two best years and got rid of him at the right time. He sucked in NY last season and would have sucked in Chicago, too, especially behind one of the worst O-lines in football.

Matt Forte, come on down! You're the Bears' new starting running back after three days of mini-camp.

Hope the kid's up for it.

BTW, great line, FH.

3. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Benson's spin on the events.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3380764

4. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Lake Travis is one popular location. I'd be interested to see if there were other witnesses available who can either support or refute Benson's side of the story.

5. melock

melock Well-Known Member

You'd think there would be. And what about the "15" people on his boat? The police better hope what Benson's saying isn't true.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

It appears that he was water boarded. They must have thought that Benson was a terriorist>

"Once we got to land, the Travis County police grabbed me and kicked my feet from under me. So I landed on my back while I was handcuffed. They held me down and held the water hose over my face. I couldn't breathe, I'm choking, I'm begging the cops, 'Please stop. Please stop.' Then they picked me up and dragged me backward toward their car. And I'm still being polite, asking them, 'Sir, could you please allow me to walk like a man to your cop car?' They just kept dragging me on."

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I wouldn't be surprised if Benson's story is closer to the truth than the officer's is.

8. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

The OL for the Jets sucked last year.

9. melock

melock Well-Known Member

I'm with you.

10. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

Their guards were the worst pair of run blockers I ever saw in my life.

11. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

"He failed a field sobriety test on the officer's boat and was uncooperative when the officer tried to take him ashore, the authority said."

It must be pretty tough to pass a sobriety test on a boat........

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I bet the cops say they were trying to wash the pepper spray out of his eyes when they hosed him down.

Draft saved Draft deleted