1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Police handcuff Georgia kindergartner for tantrum

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by proudpittsburgher, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Probably when they started getting sued.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Or they just studied geography, and she finally realized where she lives.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Why not just Taser the kid?

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

The dad has a brace on his wrist. Maybe his violent daughter caused an injury before Friday.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

A question I ask all my friends who are parents every day.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Depends what you consider "punish."

If my kid asks for a toy, doesn't get it, and has a tantrum in response, he's not going to get the toy, even if he eventually says "please." Tantrum starts, game over.

But I'm not going to spank him for it - we don't spank any way. And I'm not going to send him to his room. My wife tried that a few weeks ago when he was having a tantrum, and closed the door. He was crying so hard afterward it was heart breaking. We asked what was wrong, while he hugged her tight, and he said, "Mommy closed the door on me." My wife immediately broke into tears. We thought we were trying to teach him a lesson for his own good, but the only lesson that seemed to take was that Mommy doesn't love you any more. (Obviously nothing could have been further from the truth.)

Such trial and error when it comes to raising a child ...

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Yeah and most rotate between schools. And the ones I've come across are as useless as tits on a bull.

8. I have three kids, ages 5-11. I fully understand parenting is subjective. But I will tell you this, every negative action is met with a punishment. Oddly enough, we don't have a whole lot of negative actions these days.

I got some parenting advice just after we had our first child. It's the upside down funnel approach. You give your child very little leeway early on, and as they grow and mature and earn it, they get more and more. While I know this doesn't work for everyone, we have three very respectful, polite and loving children, so it's worked for us.

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

She's 6.

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Why would you not let a child play with a toy? Other than church or too noisy for the situation, I am coming up with blanks.

11. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Saying "fuck this" is part of the problem. You don't think kids clue in on that response?

Keep in mind "temper" tantrums like this at this kid's age is not normal behavior, especially at school.

What do you define at punishment? You can't just send the kid to his/her room for an extended period of time with nothing to do.

You need to set up alternative activities. Play outside instead of watching TV, or read. Or maybe it's time to watch a movie alone so the kid can calm down for a while.

12. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

So, you throw a tantrum, and you get to do something else that's fun instead?

Not here. You get the feeling that something was not right.

Draft saved Draft deleted