1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Police handcuff Georgia kindergartner for tantrum

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by proudpittsburgher, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

It doesn't?

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

AZ, trust me, they play with a different rule book.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

What does their rule book have to do with anything?

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

From the American Academy of Pediatrics.

http://www.healthychildren.org/English/family-life/family-dynamics/communication-discipline/pages/Temper-Tantrums.aspx

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

It doesn't say anything about calling the cops.

6. This. And the worst part of the story for me, and I don't think this quote was directed at this specific situation, rather the trend of schoolkids being arrested for their behavior was this quote.

"Kids are being arrested for being kids"

No they're not. They are presumably being arrested for doing things they shouldn't be doing. I grow more and more tired of the "boys will be boys" argument dismissing bad behavior.

7. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Enabling parents ("Now, Billy, it's not nice to choke the cat. Oh, he's just being expressive.") strike a particularly strong chord with me. I've seen it, and I've just wanted to shake those parents.

8. You can make a damn strong argument that doing what is outlined in this piece will do more harm. But that's a parenting choice and is between you and the child.

9. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Schools can't discipline kids the same way parents can. Courts recognize a difference. Schools don't want to be on the hook for a lawsuit and settlement. There is little chance a parent would win a lawsuit against a school if the cops were called in.

10. Couldn't agree more.

11. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I'll go a step further. Your 6-year-old has all the leeway you want to swing his/her fist ... until his/her fist gets in the way of my nose.

12. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

What points do you disagree with?

Draft saved Draft deleted