1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Police handcuff Georgia kindergartner for tantrum

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by proudpittsburgher, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Handcuffs and a holding cell for a 6-year-old?

I wonder if we're only getting a very cleaned up version of what really happened. The story makes it sound like the kid was expelled for the rest of this school year.

If this kind of action was justified, they probably should have used a different word than "tantrum" in the police report.

2. Mizzougrad96

That was my exact reaction.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

How would you get the kid into the padded room?

This seems to be an extreme case. It does not seem to be one that experienced school psychologist could handle. Do you just let the kid wreck the office till they calm down and send the parents a damage bill.

Az you're a bright guy, just take a stab, what would you have done if faced with the situation that the principle was?

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

It seems this was more than a tantrum.

If a child is not listening to a verbal command to stop and is ripping up the school, then the police should be called.

I would place my hands on a child if they were a physical danger to me (not really going to happen with a first grader) or if they were physically endangering another student or themself.

How this should play out...

Kid gets sent to the admin's office.
    Admin talks with child.
    If child does not correct behavior, child's parent is called.
    If child's parent cannot be reached or if the call does no good and the child is destroying school property, it's time to call the police. Mind you, if this kid is just crying and screaming in a corner, I let them tire themselves out, but this child was destroying property.
    When the police arrive, I verbally tell the child that this is no longer a school matter, but a police matter.
    Police officer tells the student to stop destroying property, and if the student does not listen to the police, they do what they need to do.

One very important thing; I am not laying my hands on a child if no one is in physical danger. That is the day and age we live in.

Oh, I send a bill to the parents for everything their child broke.

5. Mizzougrad96

Change the word tantrum to tirade and the reaction to this story would be considerably different.

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I have no idea what the situation was, Boom. The story doesn't make it clear.

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

In what way are the cops better trained to handle a disruptive kindergartner than you are?

8. 93Devil

Padded rooms are installed for autistic children who bang their heads against walls when stemming.

9. 93Devil

Cops don't get sued for grabbing kids.

10. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

What Devil said.

I'll be damned if I'd let a 6-year-old destruct property or other people because she's a 6-year-old.

BTW, Milledgeville police, I don't think the protocol for calming a screaming 6-year-old is to give her a soda.

11. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

The word tantrum has certain connotations, which don't generally include destroying property.

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Not at all what was asked.

And of course cops can get sued for grabbing a kid.

Draft saved Draft deleted