1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Police handcuff Georgia kindergartner for tantrum

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by proudpittsburgher, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Exactly -Old school teachers slapped the kids. That was not right either.

qtlaw better read the post about what happened to your nephew and rethink his approach to how he wants his son to handle the bullies.

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

So there's no position possible between hitting the kid and handcuffing them?

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

C'mon, Mizzou. We all know that's not a deterrent to the other kids who might be thinking of throwing tantrums.

4. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

When it's one or the other, it's easy to decide. You have a 50-50 chance of getting it right. After that, well, it's hard!

5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

You can't have kids flinging things at others, no matter how small the kid is.

With one of my kids, we've taken out everything besides their beds, dresser and clothes, and they stay up in their room until the tantrum stops. Actually, timeout doesn't begin until the tantrum stops.

What are you supposed to do at school, though? The administrators are in a no-win situation when dealing with parents who can't deal with their kids, and when someone else tries to do something, the parents run off to the media.

6. But they DID handle the disruptive 6-year-old. I don't think "letting the kid wear herself out is the right answer either. Teachers and administrators are being held under fire now more than ever for declining test scores, higher failure rates, etc. I suppose that's why I try and give public schools and teachers the benefit of the doubt more often than not.

7. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Letting the kids wear themselves out is not an option in the school system, unless you want schools to install padded rooms.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Az what do you suggest should have been done in this case?

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

No they didn't.

The cops did.

The cops.

Think about that for a minute.

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I have no idea. I'm not a trained school administrator. I'm asking.

Is there no strategy in modern education for handling a six-year-old throwing a tantrum?

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Why not do just that?

12. I know, I understand. The situation WAS handled. Whether it was right or wrong, it was handled. You clearly disagree with it, and in the end, I do too (going to this extreme). But I understand why they feel the need to protect themselves by going this route.

Draft saved Draft deleted