1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Police don't understand the english language

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rhody31, Jul 23, 2009.

1. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

He can be a hazard to traffic for going too slow. It's why freeways have minimum speeds.

3. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Yeah, but whenever I've seen those, its been in the range of max 65, min 40.

I don't see how being 7 MPH below is dangerous.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Depends on a lot of things... 58 in the left lane, clear day, lot of traffic, everyone blowing past...

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

That would actually be math they don't understand, which is a universal language.

6. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

You're wrong slappy. Seven miles an hour under the speed limit isn't dangerous - it's safe. 65 is the max speed you are supposed to travel.
    I don't get where this cop gets off giving this guy a ticket when he said there were people on the highway speeding by him.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I wasn;t there, so I don';t know.You asked, I offered possibilities.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Yeah, if he was going 40 or 45, that's a problem. Pull him over. But 7 mph under? Is Maryland that hard up for money or is the trooper that dense?
    Funny thing is, the trooper was probably sitting in the median and had to go 80 mph to catch up to the guy.

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Depends on what time of night. If it's late, that far under the speed limit is generally a sign of a DUI because the person's trying TOO hard to drive safely. That's how they pull some people over is for going under the speed limit.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Thing is, 7 mph under isn't that far under. If I'm hovering near the limit and take my foot off the gas for a couple seconds I can drop that far.

11. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

There was a thread on here about someone getting pulled over for doing 5 under. It was stated there that that's generally a sign of DUI. In the grand scheme, at 3 p.m., it's not a problem.

12. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

First night I lived in Lexington, I was with a friend when she got stopped on New Circle Road.

Speed limit is 55 on 75 percent of the road, with a minimum of 45 posted in that zone.

I forget how late it was, but my friend was going 42 when we passed a cop in the median.

First question asked is if she had been drinking, which she hadn't. She offered to take a field test, but the cop let her off with a warning.

Draft saved Draft deleted