1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Police brutality in Victoria, B.C.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Double J, Mar 25, 2010.

1. Double J

Double J Active Member

2. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I thought everything was perfect in Canada: health care, no crime, polite police, etc.

3. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

A couple of things.

We have no idea what this guy did. This was just shot after a bar brawl. The first cop went after him pretty angrily, maybe what this guy did during the brawl earned him a kick to the ribs.

If a cop has you on the ground and tells you to put your hands behind your back, put your fucking hands behind your back.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I thought I was going to see something really bad.

5. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Well Ann Coulter is speaking in my city tonight so not everything is perfect.

6. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Bad cop! No Tim Bits!

EDIT: And, now, having seen the video...

Sea Bass, I usually take the stance you did on this thread. However, this was way beyond the need to control a struggling guy. In both cases, this was a step back, set up and full-strength kick in the ribs — and in the case of the second guy, repeated kneeing in the back when the guy was clearly trying to get his hands behind his back. Hell, the one cop actually moved his hand away so a-hole cop could get in another knee. Those dudes need to be ejected from the RCMP right now, face charges themselves.

7. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Earned a kick to the ribs? No, that was just some asshole taking his frustrations out on somebody.That is never OK. The guy was no threat to the officers at that point. He was basically defenseless.

8. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

When the cop says get on the ground and put your hands behind your back, you don't get on your knees and then resist putting them back there.

In a situation like this the cop wants action right then. Not when some dude who may be drunk, stupid, both or has a weapon resists or whines or whatever.

I thought this was going to be worse. Kicking someone in the ribs isn't cool. But I figured there would be blood or billy clubs or something. I wouldn't classify this as brutality. Stupidity, maybe, but not brutal.

9. Smallpotatoes

Was the cop in any danger? If he didn't kick the guy could the guy have attacked him?

10. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Police don't know what might happen.

Guy on the ground could elbow the cop in the knee, momentarily disabling him and allowing a third party to come from somewhere and harm the cop.

Guy on the ground could have a 38-caliber snubnose in his pocket or waistband and while fumbling around be pulling it out to shoot.

Police take nothing for granted. You do what they say when they give a command or they ramp up. Period.

The kicker probably deserves a suspension. Three or four cops can't subdue a guy and he comes in kicking? That's shitty. Kicking the fatass in the ribs is shitty, too. There are other ways to get him down without kicking.

But I don't have a problem with the knee when he wouldn't put his hands behind his back. They're not asking you to put them back there when you're ready. Do it now, you will be cuffed and be done with it. Otherwise you'll get a knee in the back, a knee in the spine, a billy club in the neck or whatever.

11. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

Without knowing what happened before the camera was turned on - i.e. the reason the cops were there in the first place - I have no idea how you can state this with any confidence.

He may not have been a threat at that point, but cops generally get the benefit of the doubt with me - and I'm certainly not going to condemn one of them without knowing the whole story.

12. Smallpotatoes

So it's better to kick a guy in the ribs than wish you did?

Draft saved Draft deleted