1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Police: Adam Walsh was killed by Ottis Toole

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Simon_Cowbell, Dec 16, 2008.

1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Pick a POV and stick with it.

Yes, between squirrels and 16-year-olds are... surprise... young children.

Once again, cutting off your finger instead of pointing it at yourself.

You are an amazing creature of omniscience.

2. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

You'll probably worry about your children and their well being until the day they die. No matter how successful they end up becoming.

3. Simon_Cowbell

There is not a single doubt about that.

4. I happen to know a helluva lot more about the Dahmer case than you do, as should be obvious by now. Dahmer killed grown men, except for Konerak. There has never been any evidence that he killed children the age of Adam Walsh.
    Serial killers do not work their way up or down a food chain. Ted Bundy didn't start with young girls and work his way up to the sorority. There is a logic in what they do, which is why profilers are hired, but it is a logic unique to each individual.

5. Simon_Cowbell

He had many bizarre interactions with young boys. I don't think there was an age logic, other than them being male, rather the opportunity in all his murders.

6. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

I remember the day my daughter started crawling & thinking to myself that from now until the day I day I'll be wondering where she is & hoping she's okay.

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Not to thread jack, but the vice principal leaving her child in the car seat all day in the summer while she was working in the building just terrifies me.

You know, as does most everything when concerning my daughter.

8. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

How does a 6-year-old go missing from a mall?

I'm not all that familiar with the original case, more with the father's activism after.

9. dmc

dmc Guest

Kids wander, he just happened to be one of the unlucky ones.

10. I don't know what that means but, when he started to kill, he started with men, not boys.

Uh, no.

11. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

The story is that Reve let Adam watch some kids playing a video game or something while she went an aisle or two over to look for a lamp. A security guard told the kids, who were being loud, to get out, and Adam, hearing the order, went with them. He was last seen at a mall entryway.

Maybe the way missing kids cases were treated changed, but what changed more was how this and Etan Patz ushered in what some would call helicopter parenting. I remember as a young kid my mom leaving my brother and I in the car while she went shopping for an hour or so, and that wasn't unusual. What Reve did at the time wouldn't have been unusual, either.

12. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

We have a 7-year-old son. Probably because of the conditioning since this and other case, I can't imagine leaving him alone in a high-traffic area even for a minute. He lives a pretty protected life.

And I type this with a bit of a there-but-for-the-grace-of-God feeling because I know that times might have been very different then. I know that they were when I was growing up, otherwise I probably wouldn't be here.

Draft saved Draft deleted