1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pokey Chatman Resigns....Dead Pelican reports...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by PTSportsWriter, Mar 8, 2007.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I agree. It reported the news and attempted to shoot holes through the statement and tried to answer the many questions the suddenness of the announcement would elicit in readers.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

It was interesting and all, but read more like a eulogy than tried to answer questions.

3. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

Never will understand how institutes of higher learning -- knock, knock -- can say "you can't talk to the players" or even "the players cannot talk to you." I mean, I know they can say it, but how they can say it and still maintain any credibility as venues for enlightened thought is hilarious.

Had my biggest blow-up with a coach ever over a similar deal. Coach suspended a player and I saw the kid in the stands during the game. Went over and talked to him at halftime and he had some interesting things to say. Brought them to the coach and he blasted me for talking to the guy without permission. Some of these fucking guys ...

4. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

LSU’s sports information department has long been one of my absolute least favorites around, and quite frankly I hope they all get to take a big bite of this shit sandwich.

5. I'm hearing Pokey won't be coaching in the NCAAs. Accurate?

6. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Just heard that.
    She's done.

7. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

Accurate. The Times-Picayune has the statement from Pokey and Skip.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If my coach announced she was resigning to "pursue other offers," she sure as hell wouldn't coach again for me.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I'd guess also if the actual reason is "inappropriate relationship with a player," then she's gone right now, today.

They don't let someone "coach out the season" when something like that is going on.

10. Rasputin

Rasputin New Member

11. Rasputin

Rasputin New Member

The Picayune had two stories, one a newser by Jim Varney and the other a profile by Ted Lewis.

When lawyers are involved, strange things happen for 'legal reasons'. They corrected it today. LSU sometimes just doesn't get it when it comes to dealing with us, the things they 'ask' us to do continue to baffle me.

Thirdly, I know writers have suggested stories on the special relationships in women's basketball and the large block of 'special fans' that prop up their attendance. Most editors - sports and managing - don't want any part of it.

12. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

All fans are "special."
    I assume that you mean lesbians, but you're right, newspapers stay miles away from something like that.
    My favorite cracking the code line is when a women's coach blames "bad chemistry" when the coach really means that the girlfriends on the team are fighting or breaking up.

Draft saved Draft deleted