1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pokey back in the public spotlight

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Sunshine Scooter, Aug 27, 2007.

1. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Who the crap cares about her love life? She was famous because she's a coach.

I can see it now. Lifetime's Original Movie: "Pokin' Around"

2. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

It's candy cocaine for kids. 8) My sister couldn't get enough of them as a tyke. It got so bad, she became the unofficial pixie stix dealer in the neighborhood. She made enough money one summer, she bought herself a new bike.

3. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

Starman, there was an SI article a few weeks back on how much Lauren Jackson (Seattle) cashed in by playing in Russia and Asia during the WNBA offseason. I can't find the link, unfortunately. But for whatever reason (I think it's primarily that these foreign clubs are company-run teams that use them for publicity), female players earn a hell of a lot more overseas.

4. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

I honestly clicked on this thread expecting to find this guy:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. JoelHammond

JoelHammond Member

Dude, read the story. Not all WNBA players go there and make that kind of money. Each team can have no more than two Americans on its roster. So it's not like Run of the Mill WNBA Betty can go over there and make that salary.

And the team Bird and Taurasi play for -- conveniently mentioned in the story you didn't read -- goes into the red like $3 million, if I remember correctly, to spend on its players the way it does. So it's not like this would be a common sort of thing in other foreign leagues.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

All right, this thread has been totally jacked off the tracks. I frankly don't give a shit what anybody makes in the WNBA, the Russian WNBA or the Turdoslovakian WNBA.

The original point was that the writer of the original story -- a ditzy chick sent to write a puff-puff rah rah cheerleading piece for Pokey Chatman -- just took everything she said as gospel.

Very very weird, starting with the fact that a coach who resigned under suspicion of sexual misconduct with one of her players was being brought in by the Catholic Youth Organization as a celebrity role model. :eek: :eek: :eek:

7. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

It's a little weird, but I don't think anyone's suggested that she's a pedophile. It's one thing to be attracted to an 18- or 19-year-old; it's quite another to be attracted to a 12- or 13-year-old. Catholic youth organizations have had hundreds (if not thousands) of worse role models over the years.

8. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I noticed earlier last night a poster on here with the name pixiestix. Well not really a poster because he/she has not posted. But I saw the name in the 'who's online' portion and sent a PM, saying I was now craving them. So I went to Wal-Mart, but above the 'PixieStix' price thing was just blank shelving.

Then I came home, and there was that post.

9. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

This is distracting us from the excitement of the WNBA playoffs!

10. JoelHammond

JoelHammond Member

Well said.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Ohhh, I'm sure they still do, given it's the Catholic Youth Organization. ::) ::)

In light of that, and in light of the fact that some 12-13-year-olds look as mature as some 18-19-year-olds, I think if I were the Catholic Youth Organization, I'd think twice before inviting in ANY coach who has been accused (and at this point, in no way disproven, other than her own denials -- the fact she abruptly resigned following the allegations, while not proving anything, certainly indicates they may have SOME credibility) of having an inappropriate relationship with a player.

99.95 percent of all coaches understand that's something you should not do, regardless of the age or gender of the student. Why not invite one of THEM to "mentor the youth?"

??? ??? ::) ::)

12. The CYO didn't invite Chatman to do anything. It was her camp, and she probably rented the gym from the CYO to hold it there because the place she used to hold it -- LSU's basketball arena -- was no longer an option for her.

Draft saved Draft deleted