1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pointless thread about cars

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KG, May 23, 2007.

1. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

What's wrong with that?

And besides, it was all my family could afford at the time and I was just happy to have a fucking car.

2. CradleRobber

CradleRobber Active Member

I have my younger brother's 2003 Tacoma this week to move all my shit out of my apartment and into storage. He's stuck with my car back home and I already don't want to give the truck back. I love it.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

The two minivans I've had have developed leaky head gaskets at about 90,000 miles. Is that typical?

4. John

John Well-Known Member

My first car was an Isuzu Trooper II -- inherited it from my brothers when they went off to college.

My first car that I picked out was a silver Acura Integra. The fucking thing was beautiful and I'll never love a car they way I loved that one -- not physically, of course, because that would just be weird.

5. Cadet

Cadet Guest

My first car was a 1979 Volkswagen Rabbit. Loved that car until my brother demolished it. Not sure how many miles, but it was about 17 years.

Had a 1992 Honda Accord and loved, loved, loved it.

I currently drive a plastic roller skate.

6. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

My first car was a 1971 Vega hatchback named "Bess." Got it used in 1975. It was a POS, lots of car cancer from living in the Rustbelt. But the engine ran great and I had it for at least two years before the engine just couldn't handle -25 to -40 and just quit working. When I traded it in I got $200 credit, and a look of amazement from the dealer that it was still running.

Now? Toyota. Nothin' but.

7. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

Agree with the sentiment that North American cars aren't as reliable on the whole. My first was a 1993 Mazda 323 that already had 167,000 kilometres on it (103,000 miles). When it finally died it was past 300,000 km's (186,000 miles).

I still believe it would've lasted longer had the original owner taken care of it - he was a friend of mine and not known for taking good care of anything.

8. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

For as much as GM is bashed, I know a lot of people that have had pretty good success with Buick and Cadillac. My uncle had an 82 LeSabre that he ran to 300,000 miles and the only reason he dumped the damn car is because he lived in the rust belt and the body was dying on him. My mother has 125,000 on her 96 Cadillac Deville and she's looking for a new car only because she's sick of driving this one (I've already told her I'll take it off of her hands since limo companies use these cars up to 300,000 many times).

And any Cadillac made in 91-95 with the 4.9 L V-8 (not to be confused with the first Northstar engines) is a damn reliable car as long as it wasnt wrecked or abused. Best friend's dad had a 94 that he sold with 175,000 only because he got scared of the miles and drives a lot of highway for work. And a friend of the family whose husband is a doctor had a 1992 Sedan DeVille that she was still driving at 220,000 miles. Someone asked her why she doesnt get a new car and she said "WHy the hell should I get into a car payment when this car drives as nice as the day I bought it?"

Most American car companies are making pretty damn reliable engines now (aside from the occasional lemon). It's usually the stupid shit surrounding the engine that goofs up (AC compressor, alternator, water pump, etc.).

9. KG

KG Active Member

My sentiments exactly! When people hear how close I'm coming to 2K miles, on comes a look of panic, followed by strong urging to get something newer. Plus they are usually stunned to learn that it's a '98. Both me and the original owner have taken good care of it, so most people asume it's only a few years old instead of pushing 10.

Draft saved Draft deleted