1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pointless thread about cars

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KG, May 23, 2007.

1. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Get it done as soon as possible. A Sube ought to last quite a while, but if the timing belt snaps, your engine is toast. While that's being done, your mechanic will probably recommend that you have the water pump and the other belts and hoses replaced. This is a great time to do this because the thing's all apart anyway. Unless you replaced your water pump within the past 6 months, do this now.

And I don't think anything will outlast a Toyota.

2. KG

KG Active Member

Aww Ace I'm crushed. The last two vehicles I've owned were 4Runners. But I agree with you on the cost. The price has skyrocketed with their popularity. There's no way in hell I'm going to buy a new 4Runner now when I can get my beloved Super Duty for the same price.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

They seem fine. I was just shocked at the price.

4. KG

KG Active Member

By the time I got my second one, the prices were already going up quite a bit. I can't believe how much they've gone up now. I mean being a Toyota, you'll get your monies worth, but if I'm buying a new vehicle, I'm looking for instant gratification too.

5. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Gotcha beat. I inherited my step-father's work car, a 1984 Cavalier with 150,000 on it. I rode it over 200,000. It still sits in the yard -- almost redneck style -- with no battery. The battery was robbed for the tractor some time ago. However, if a battery was installed, the oil changed and tires re-inflated, she'd go anywhere.

6. KG

KG Active Member

Well at least I've got you beat dork style. Mine was navy, I had limo tint put on the windows and called her the Midnight Rider (after the song).

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I trust mine 100 percent.

A few years ago dealer warns me that "we need to replace those brake pads. you're down to about 10 percent."

I said "next time" and immediately went to my trusty mechanic.

"Nah, you've got about 30 percent. We'll let you know when they need to be replaced."

I basically gave him a blank check to replace the brake pads and was told . . . "Nah, maybe later."

My car is at 201,500 miles, by the way. Japanese, of course.

You buy shoes for style. Unless you have money to burn, you buy a car for reliability.

And that new Lexus ES350 looks pretty stylish, too. But I think I'll wait until the current car drops dead.

8. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

My 93 Chevy Lumina had 193K on it when I got it for my 16th birthday. By the time I got rid of it two years later, it had almost 205K on it.

9. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Please tell me it wasn't a four-door. Please.

10. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

Echoing what's already been said, get that Subaru timing belt changed. Most Subaru engines are interference engines -- meaning if the belt breaks, pistons and valves collide and you're replacing the engine.

Also, inspecting timing belts can't really tell you what condition they're in unless they're in such terrible condition they're going to break momentarily.

My family's had a Volvo and a Volkswagen that were still going strong well past 200,000 miles. Currently there's a Mercedes-Benz that's getting close to 200K and runs like it's new. There's also an Audi with nearly 140K miles that's falling apart.

11. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Had a similar experience -- a big chunk of the front end on my car fell partly off after I hit a huge pothole. I had to pull in to the nearest mechanic, where they spent an hour or so jury-rigging something and didn't charge all that much.

They told me to take it to my usual mechanic for a permanent fix, but when I did he looked at what they'd done. He said he could tear it apart and put in the official replacement pieces, but that would cost about $300-500 and really wouldn't be any improvement over the jury-rigging. That was 20K miles ago, and no problems have cropped up.

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

That's the upset of the year.

The only thing that keeps MB from being the least reliable car on the road is the Jaguar.

Draft saved Draft deleted