1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Poindexter alert: Arrested teacher to challenge sex with student law.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JayFarrar, May 16, 2008.

1. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Was this woman counting down to midnight of this kid's 18th birthday as if it was New Year's Eve. Maybe not, but I'm guessing she was anticipating the kid turning 18.

2. So what happens if a 19-year-old University of Arkansas student has sex with a professor? The U is a public institution, isn't it? Or are colleges not included in the law? You would think this would absolutely be a fireable offense but not breaking the law.

3. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I believe that's where the concept of <i> in loco parentis </i> comes in. Professors don't have legal authority over their students the same way high school teachers do.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

She doesn't have a leg to stand on if her argument is that an 18-year-old is old enough to die for his country, or buy a pack of cigs, or vote. Or if a 21-year-old is old enough to drink. Or if a 25-year-old is old enough to rent a car or run for the U.S. House. Age-defined legislation has been held up time and again.

5. A jury might buy it.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Sure, she might be found not guilty if it went to trial and they voir dire'd 12 Chesters or whatnot.

But she's suing the state to take it off the books. Ain't gonna happen.

7. dargan

dargan Active Member

Hey, it's Arkansas. How is this illegal/unusual there?

(I'm sorry. I had to. I hate sophomoric degradation of fellow Southerners, but it's all in good SEC fun.)

8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I was thinking specifically about 18-year-olds, who are considered legal adults. You make a fair point.

9. pallister

pallister Guest

I never imagined my high school alma mater would make SportsJournalists.com. And certainly not for this. Yikes!

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

In prisons, it's illegal for guards to have sex with inmates, even if it is consensual, because the guards are in the position of authority.

Don't think this case will be won, but I'd love to see someone take on a prostitution law and claim that it is legal due to the Supreme Court's ruling several years ago that threw out sodomy laws against gays. The Court essentially said that laws banning two consenting adults in an equal relationship from having sex were unconstitutional.

11. I agree.

12. Faithless

Faithless Member

Arkansas is the home of the family with 17 kids and an 18th on the way. As a resident of a neighboring state, I say the Sooey Pig State is fair game.

But have to say this about Ms. Monroe: She's surrre got a pretty mouth.

Draft saved Draft deleted