1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Poindexter alert: Arrested teacher to challenge sex with student law.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JayFarrar, May 16, 2008.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

You see, this is why I like hanging out here.
    So I can share news like this
    http://www.nwanews.com/bcdr/News/61836/

Kid was 18, but still a student. Kind of an interesting argument the teacher is making.
    He is 18 and legal, if 32 year old woman had sex with him, that isn't a crime and he can sign up and join the Army and be in Iraq or some other war zone, so he is an adult.
    You can be student and join the Army, do basic training the summer before your senior year and not even be 18. I think. That isn't true here, but if someone 17 is old enough to join the Army while still a student. I don't see why someone 18 can't have sex with a teacher. Or a coach, or the manager of the local Piggly Wiggly. The kid is 18 and an adult.
    The argument would be stronger if he was out of school, but still, I don't think the teacher did anything illegal.

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Pics or GTFO

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Well, it's clearly illegal; the law's right there on the books. Not sure there's a Constitutional issue, either.

4. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I pray that the gods of fail are not strong in me today, so that the picture will post.

Edit: The gods of fail have ruined me today. Let me try again.

[​IMG]

The Lords of Kobol did not answer my prayers/ a full of fail battlestar nerd reference

http://bp0.blogger.com/_Ep4w_1hPukY/R8Mqj5BU_hI/AAAAAAAAGOU/_sqHoc9l8rU/s1600-h/Monroe_Melissa2.jpg

That's the link to the teacher's mugshot.

Here's a link to Poin's secret blog
    http://teachertrash.blogspot.com/2008/02/bentonville-arkansas.html

5. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Obama's god is an awesome god.

6. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Red X. Full scale fail.

7. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Interesting argument about the legality of a law that prohibits sex with someone who has reached (or passed) the age of consent.

I think the big thing is that it is meant to protect students from teachers using their position of authority, i.e., promising better grades, to get sex. However, I think those types of situations could probably be properly handled under the nation's sexual harrassment laws, almost as if a student is an "employee."

I could see an argument for striking the law, but allowing school districts to fire a teacher who has sex with a student (of legal age) for the obvious conflict of interest it creates.

9. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

WWTTWIWS?

10. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Teachers and NWANews? F*** the Police Students!

11. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Even if the sex charge is dropped, she's still facing 120 days in jail and a $400 fine for the serving alcohol to a minor part of the charges.

12. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't sexual harassment a civil issue, handled through litigation? And aren't school districts and other governmental entities generally exempt from at least some types of civil litigation?

I think it has to remain illegal. In some states, the age of consent is 16. Do we want to allow teachers to boff sophomores?

Draft saved Draft deleted