1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pohla Smith (former UPI) seriously ill

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Smasher_Sloan, Sep 9, 2012.

1. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Pohla Smith, who was UPI's main turf writer, is seriously ill in a Pittsburgh hospital.

I was told she suffered some sort of seizure in mid-August and has been unconscious ever since. Her prognosis is apparently not very good. I'm not sure of her age, but I would guess she's around 60. She has been working news side for the Post Gazette in Pittsburgh.

Prayers are good thoughts are certainly needed.
  2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Hate to hear that. Sending good thoughts.
  3. ryanb

ryanb Member

Damn. Hoping like crazy that the prognosis is wrong. Aside from her professional resume, Pohla is also very good people, somebody who went out of her way to help me more than once during my career.

I first met Pohla when she taught a sports writing course at the University of Pittsburgh in the early '90s. She was tough, which was something we all needed. Even better, she brought in guest speakers that she met during her time at UPI. One of them was Chuck Noll. This was shortly after he had retired. Think of the respect she had to engender to get a guy like Noll to come out to talk to a bunch of college punks.

Get well, Pohla. Add me to what I'm sure is a long list of people pulling for you.
  4. Pete Wevurski

Pete Wevurski Member

Add me to that list. Pohla long has been, in the parlance of her former beat, a classy filly. More than that, she was accessible and helpful to anyone who asked. Here's hoping she snaps out of it (it happens) and makes a full recovery.
  5. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Add me as well.

She spoke to a pack of college seniors at a sports journalism seminar in Louisville that I attended 15 years ago. Incredibly considerate and generous with her time and knowledge.
  6. casty33

casty33 Active Member

I only spent time with Pohla when the Pirates were into playoffs and World Series in 1979. She was very professional, and fun to deal with. I will say a prayer and hope she can get better. As Pete said ... it does happen.
  7. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Pohla and I went to the same high school, though I didn't meet her for the first time until I got into the business. I'll agree with all the previous sentiments; she's a good person.
Draft saved Draft deleted