1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Podcasts

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Jun 16, 2016.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Tried to download You're Wrong About and it jams. Frustrating.

2. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

Try another platform? I use both Spotify and Stitcher in free/not premium mode.

Wenders likes this.
  3. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

I have a handful of podcasts that I've been listening to for years. To be honest, I don't think I'd start listening to them today because they all have one minor flaw or another. With so many great podcasts out there. I ignore even really good shows like This American Life.

4. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

New podcast out from the producers of Serial - The Improvement Association. I binged through the five episodes yesterday, and I'd give it a B, B+. It's about the political climate in a small North Carolina county, and mostly follows the rise and fall of the Bladen County Improvement Association, a Black advocacy group. (As a result, this post could probably go in the politics thread as well.) The best episodes are two, three and five - They do a good job of showing how ingrained distrust and racism can be, in all directions. However, the show is hurt if you're a Reply All listener, like I am, because it's very reminiscent of a three-part series that show did on the Alabama Democratic party.

5. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I did like Nice White Parents which they put out last summer.

HC and sgreenwell like this.
  6. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I've been meaning to thank the person who recommended "You're Wrong About". Really enjoying it.

Wenders likes this.
  7. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I thought that was really good, too.

8. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I felt a connection to the podcast because I was a Brooklyn nice white child in the mid-70s when my mom and some other parents used their teacher’s union connections to transfer us to a better (whiter) elementary school. I was a Brooklyn nice white child in the mid-80s when my HS created an honors program to attract the Jewish kids who were fleeing to the cooler quasi-alternative HS a mile away. And more friends than I can count in Brooklyn sent or tried to send their kids to the school in question in the podcast. This stuff fascinates me — people talk a great liberal game but everyone is selfish when it comes to their kids and school.

qtlaw, sgreenwell and HC like this.
  9. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Why are podcasts so valuable when you can skip through the ads?

lakefront likes this.
  10. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I'm guessing that a lot of folks listen to them in places where skipping the ads isn't as easy - driving, say. Just a thought.

11. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

Brian Baumgartner has an Office podcast. Really good. I also enjoy The Office Ladies.

I also listen to Mark Maron, he has been at it for like 10 years. I had no idea they have been around for so long.

12. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted