1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Podcasting

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JBondurant804, Nov 20, 2013.

1. JBondurant804

JBondurant804 Member

Posted this in the Online Journalism forum, but it doesn't seem like it's viewed as much as this.

But I've got questions regarding podcasting.

I have some experience doing podcasts not related to sports or my job, but I was thinking about maybe starting one dealing more with my specific beats and pitching it to my editor.

Do any of you at your specific papers do anything like that, and if so, is it well-received? And if so, do you have any suggestions on a specific length? Some popular podcasts are like 15-20 minutes, others are 45 minutes to an hour, and others can be longer than that.

Also, for you tech savvy folks, I record using a newer version of Abelton. Do any of you know how to record Skype conversations into Abelton, or is there a way to record a cell phone call into Abelton if I tried to connect my phone to my recording interface?

2. tmayforth

tmayforth Member

I started one last year for my football coverage and other select moments throughout the offseason (basketball tournaments, big news, etc.). Wasn't asked to do it, but decided to fire it up since I had experience putting radio broadcasts together and the like — and it's been well-received by readers.

I try to go keep my podcasts to less than 30 minutes and that includes an intro, my interview with an opposing beat writer (or whoever I chose to interviews for that week) and an outro.

Never heard of Albeton. I record interviews using Google Voice and then work through Audacity.

Let me know if you need any help.

Draft saved Draft deleted