1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pocatello, Idaho

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by tflagstad, May 13, 2009.

1. From reading some of the old Pocatello threads, it seems like a polarizing place.

Good luck Nighthawk.

A couple of past threads:

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/30425/

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/48960/

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/51011/

2. Andy Dufresne

Andy Dufresne Member

Dude, you're trying way too hard.

3. gutenberg

gutenberg Guest

Was my comment not strong enough to display that I wouldn't have any interest in that place under any condition?

That's even if they paid me three times more than what I'm paid now instead of the gig being nearly three times less.

I'll try to be more direct to the point in the future.

4. Actually, your comment was too strong to display that. It was so strong that it made you appear like a bitter rejected applicant.

So why comment at all? It isn't what you want. Fine. Nobody forced you to apply. It is what I wanted, and I intend to enjoy it.

5. BYUSportsGuy

BYUSportsGuy Member

I hope you do enjoy it, Nighthawk. Maybe gutenberg, as a seasoned writer, gets sick of seeing talented journalists (you did go to Mizzou, right) make beans at one paper with a I-AA university when they could make more at a smaller town.

To each their own. I applied for this job, I got hired for it, but I can't make ends meet on that, being married with two kids, so I turned it down.

I hope you have a good time in Poky and become a better writer, but you have to think about gutenberg and where he's been. You, nor I, have any idea why he hates Pocatello so bad, but my guess is there's an experience that has something to it.

6. gutenberg

gutenberg Guest

Nighthawk ... my comment was in response to Bottomless Pit's post that was directed to me ... it had nothing to do with you.

Best of luck there in Pocatello. Hope you make the most of the opportunity, particularly if it is your first professional gig. Congrats to you.

7. BubonicWit

BubonicWit New Member

I must say, you can stretch that salary quite far in Poky, and for as much as Idaho State athletics have struggled lately it still is a Division I (FCS) program. Could be worse. Could be a one-man-shop weekly.

8. mose

mose Member

I could be MUCH worse, Nighthawk. There are good opportunities there, as well as some great people (the head photog is as solid a guy as you'll ever work with). This gig will be what you make of it.

9. That's true. It's not a salary that you can support a family on, unless you have a rich wife, and I completely understand why you'd pass on it. I, on the other hand, am just out of college and have nobody to support besides myself, so the salary works for me. It also helps that I don't drink, which is an excellent money-saver for a 21-year old (or would be if I didn't blow my extra money on baking cheesecakes).

For me, the important thing is that I have the opportunity and can stop wondering when it's going to come. I like the situation I'm in, and I definitely plan to make the most of my opportunity. Hopefully, by the time I reach the stage of life that you're in and need an increase in salary (although given my dating success, that might be never), someone will have figured out how to make money off online journalism and it's possible to make a salary that allows you to provide for a family of four.

And yes, I did go to Missouri, but I like to keep that secret. The thing I've discovered about going to a university is that when people find out you went there, they expect you to be a fan of that school.

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Go for it, mate. Good luck to you.

As we've all seen over and over and over again, it's become darn near impossible to support a family on a journalist's salary alone. Maybe if you're at a major metro, but those are the places being hit the hardest with jobs cuts in this recession. Maybe if your spouse works and brings in a decent amount you could get by.

The only reason I'd even consider staying in the business is because I have only myself to support. And only myself to blame. sometimes, that is a wonderfully freeing situation in which to find oneself.

Draft saved Draft deleted