1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pocatello, Idaho

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by tflagstad, May 13, 2009.

1. Angola!

Angola! Guest

It's awful, unless they've really upgraded the town in the past four years.

2. thebigd

thebigd Member

What is the cost of living like?

3. gutenberg

gutenberg Guest

Tell us the $20-25K is for six months before we all break out laughing.

If not, they must be looking for entry-level-only applicants who don't know any better.

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

It's a whole new business. There's probably at least 10k out of work journalists out there. People will take these jobs.

5. Angola!

Angola! Guest

What are you smoking?

You are expecting a paper the size of Pocatello to pay $40-50k?

6. gutenberg

gutenberg Guest

No, I'm expecting them to pay more than $20-25K for 12 months based on the job description.

Go back and read the ballpark figure posted by tflagstad.

Yeah Rick, you are right on about that. Someone will take it.

7. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I wasn't a "big shot" at my college paper. Oh well.

8. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I'm not saying it's right, but this is what every job at papers under-20k are paying for random positions.

Actually, I would have been quite happy to get 25k at my first job.

As much as Pocatello sucks, they have been producing really good writers lately. I'm guessing this guy who replaced the old SE brought a bit of a new mindset, which would be refreshing, because the old SE sucked.

9. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I'm pretty sure the old SE was the one who allowed the all-pink cover "Cinderella's going to the ball" cover when the Idaho State women upset Montana and went to the NCAA Tourney. It still haunts me.

10. J Welsch

J Welsch New Member

Yeah, the pay is lame, but a single guy looking to cut his/her teeth could get by in Poky. Tim IS good people, this section has been an excellent launching pad for good writers, and Pocatello isn't the armpit it once was. The ISJ even tries to cover ISU the way papers used to back in the good old days ... you know, two years ago. If I were 25 and — for some inexplicable reason — trying to make a go of it in the biz, I'd be all over this. For diversions, SLC and Boise aren't far, and Yellowstone/Grand Teton/Jackson Hole are even closer.
    If only they could just get rid of the Simplot phosphate factory ...

11. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

$25k ain't great no matter the location, but it's not bad for Pokey. You wanna see bitch wages? Check out what they pay when you walk in the door in Coeur d'Alene.

12. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Come on! $8 an hour is a king's wage :p

Draft saved Draft deleted