1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Plenty of houses available!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Bubbler, Aug 24, 2010.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

This is obviously not good ...

http://online.wSportsJournalists.com/article/BT-CO-20100824-708958.html

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

That $8,000 first-time homebuyer credit is on its way to becoming a permanent part of the tax code. Every time it ends we find out just how fragile our economy is.

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Plenty of cheap houses in Phoenix. Real estate investors are buying houses for $50-60k and renting them out for decent prices.

Of course if those doing local-angle stories call up a Realtor, they will say the market is great.

4. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

I'm one of the like five people who have purchased a home in the last month (then again my area was not really affected at all by the housing crisis).

it took a year of searching before we settled on a place that fit our budget.

5. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I'd buy a house if had an $8,000 incentive. Not doing it without one right now.

6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

We barely missed the cut-off date for the credit this summer. Sure would be sweet if they brought it back and gave the donks like me retroactive credits.

7. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

It's scary to think how much of our economy is built on home ownership and the value of said house increasing.

Besides the numerous tax incentives to spur home ownership, turning farmland into new subdivisions has fueled our economy ever since World War II ended.

When the bubble bursts ... well, just look around. Yikes.

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

There are a ton of deals out there. If we weren't so close to paying off our mortgage, there are two dream houses in our neighborhood we'd consider buying. Hell, we've talked about buying a different house as rental property.

Of course, if the banks aren't lending the money for mortgages then it might not matter.

9. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

There are a ton of deals out there....depending on where you live. In the DC area, not so much, although there are a few if you look really hard. We got damn lucky with ours and the price we paid, but we had to look a little further south than we originally planned.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Harper's had a great Index item on this ///

Minimum number of children under 18 who have received first-time-homebuyer tax credits from the IRS since 2008: 582

I hope Junior proves as trustworthy as Mommy and Daddy assumed he'd be.

11. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

That daily commute from North Carolina to DC getting to be difficult, Ryan?

12. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Are you kidding? It's gotta be mommy and daddy's money.

Draft saved Draft deleted