1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Please, sir, I want (American) Samoa

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Basil Exposition, Aug 13, 2007.

1. Basil Exposition

Basil Exposition New Member

An absolute gem from WaPo's Eli Saslow, who traveled halfway around the world to get a great story. A lot of folks might have tried to write this out of your standard-issue inner-city high school football factory, but it wouldn't have as much resonance. Here it's not a few blocks of blight and hopeless poverty that kids are desperate to escape, it's a whole freaking island, stuck in the middle of the ocean, 2,500 miles from anything substantial. Saslow also nails the high school tribal loyalties on "The Rock" and this bruising offensive lineman who has to drown a chicken to feed his family dinner. Great, great story.

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/why-we-compete/2007/08/opportunity.html

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Good stuff. Would be fascinating to cover preps there.

3. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Nice get ... took me back in time. Thanks for sharing.

4. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Awesome thread title, btw.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Samoans are badasses. So are Tongans.

I'm ready to do a haka chant now.

6. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

You can see it live on Fox Sports Net on Sept. 15 when Euless Trinity plays out in Odessa.

7. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Nice article. I think there are some people out there wondering why Lava Lava Lenny got no mention (old Doonesbury reference).

Draft saved Draft deleted