1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Please send this young woman your money!...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TigerVols, Apr 17, 2010.

1. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

Whatever, dude. We're done. Enjoy that puzzle, and have a nice night. :)

2. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Hey, thanks! Puzzle's done. Wasn't a hard one. More like a farmhouse than one of those with a bunch of characters in it.

You have a great night too. Eat, drink and be merry.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

From the photo, how can we tell if she's an outlier or an inney?

4. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

Unfortunately, I have to work a couple hours...those J.V. softball roundups don't write themselves. :) But I will later. Take care!

5. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

I think one of the interviews I went on they did. The others, I have pretty much been interested in what they offered enough to get me in the door. It is when they tell me that they won't pay me unless I sell shit that I lose interest.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

There's a reason why 100 percent commission sales jobs are always open. And they're not open necessarily because people had a bad attitude.

It's hard as hell. Unless you have a huge family and a wide circle of friends, you're not going to make any money out of it.

I had commission sales offers when I got out of school years ago. Didn't take them. Now I'm looking again, and the most jobs that are listed are ... you guessed it ... commission sales jobs.

7. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

We have a hell of a time keeping ad people. In addition to the all-commission pay, they are also mandated to take a $50 draw every day for expenses (gas to neighboring towns, mostly). So they're required to borrow (basically) $500 every pay period. If you can't sell, you may end up owing the company money. Also, since they don't have a real salary, when they take a PDO, they get $0. They might as well not claim it, but they "earn" them the same way the rest of us do and at the end of the year, they'll be told they need to use them.

(And you're right if you're thinking that doesn't make a bit of sense).

8. Yodel

Yodel Active Member

I remember trying to find a job in Florida when I was trying to marry the antichrist. I was either unqualified for the writing jobs that came available, or they simply went elsewhere. And I was overqualified for many. i couldn't even get a call-back from the fast food types.

Fortunately, the fiancee dumped me two weeks before the wedding (i say fortunately in retrospect; she was a head case of the highest order), I was able to keep my old job, and i ended up taking a job a few months later in paradise. Not too bad.

9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

No one seems to understand this poor woman's problems are all our fault. If we had only thought to cover her JV soccer games ...

10. Baron Scicluna

Your place makes the reps borrow money for gas mileage instead of just paying them? Ugh.

One place I worked at gave the reps $50 per week for mileage (this was when gas prices were $1.10 a gallon). Another place it was something like 25 cents a mile for everyone (again, prices were cheap).

The second place I worked at used to screw over their ad reps majorly. The reps would sell a bunch of small ads, and collect their commission. But if they happened to sell a large ad, the publisher would claim that it was something called a 'house ad', in which the paper would keep all the money, even though the reps still had to service the advertiser.

Ad reps left the place faster than the reporters did.

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

At every magazine I have done, a house ad is an ad that doesn't bring in any revenue and is used to promote something about the magazine. Practically, it is always the space that you couldn't sell, so as a last resort as you are going to press, you put in a house ad that offers people something if they buy subscriptions as a gift or plugs something in the next issue or tries to get people to a website. What did your publisher mean by "house ad," because the only thing I have ever known the term to mean is an unsold ad space that you are filling with something that doesn't bring in any revenue?

12. Baron Scicluna

In the case of my ex-paper from long ago, it meant that the advertiser had already been with the paper before the ad rep had been hired on. The rep would have to continue to go to the advertiser to solicit ads as 'part of their job'. If they sold smaller ones, the publisher would let them keep the commission. But if it was a larger one, like a full-page ad, the publisher would call it a 'house ad' and claim that since they already were advertising with the paper before, that it was the paper's customer, not the ad rep's.

Ridiculous, I know. That's why, with the exception of the ad manager, people left the place left and right.

Draft saved Draft deleted