1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Please send this young woman your money!...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TigerVols, Apr 17, 2010.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Retail & fast food hire lots of people for entry level jobs.

But, as Rick probably learned, they also need people that can handle cash, are responsible enough to give the keys of the store to, and who can manage people.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Funny-ish story: I always got promoted to management when I worked these jobs, and when I was paying my way through college I did *not* want that responsibility. So one year at a burger joint, I just shut up and did nothing but exactly what they told me. I cleaned the lots, then put burgers on the grill during the lunch rush. (exactly as many burgers as I was told, when I was told. Couldn't be expected to look and see when we might need them in advance).

About a year later, I wasn't there anymore but I had been promoted to Editor in Chief of the school paper and a friend of mine still worked there. He told them about my promotion and they were all stunned. They were all working under the assumption that I was mentally challenged.

3. stunning : magical :: lovely : talented

(On a side note: I worked at the same student paper as Miss DaSilva. Future blog posts notwithstanding, she was quite talented, actually.)

4. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

Me and Rick and his wife, apparently. :) I think there may be a couple more. Just a hunch. It's really not that uncommon, especially in this economy.

Just another reminder of the danger of absolute statements.

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

You can't do absolutes. That is absolutely true.

6. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Perhaps so.

But never think you're anything but a group of outliers. You are not the norm.

7. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

It really just depends on where you live.

8. Piotr Rasputin

http://www.prettyinthecity.com/save-karyn/

9. fishhack2009

Uh.. ok. Whatever that's supposed to mean. ::)

I don't think anyone said it was the norm. Nor should it be. But it happens.

10. Piotr Rasputin

Don't be a douche. What I wrote was pretty easy to understand.

You don't get what "outlier" means? Get a dictionary, and hold the eye-roll smilies.

11. fishhack2009

Lighten up, Francis. And if you feel the need to make yourself feel all superior by using $10 words, feel free.

An assertion was made. I challenged it. You apparently have a problem with that. Fine by me. And I'll express myself any damn way I see fit, thank you very much. I didn't attack you personally.

If you want to pick a fight, you're going to have to look elsewhere. I'm not interested.

12. Piotr Rasputin

Well, you didn't exactly express yourself in a respectful manner, but whatever floats your boat is just fine. I merely responded in kind.

But the whole "Lighten up, Francis," and bold proclamation that you are above arguing?

More puzzles, more pieces.

Draft saved Draft deleted