1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Please send this young woman your money!...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TigerVols, Apr 17, 2010.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

In the past two weeks, I've had two interviews canceled on me because, while the initial person was enthusiastic about meeting me, a higher-up ended up overruling them.

One job, they felt I was overqualified for. The other interview was with an employment agency in my soon-to-be new field which had automatic interviews. The woman from the agency called to say that most of their jobs required 2-5 years of experience, and that with my newspaper experience, that they didn't think I would be comfortable with an entry-level job (which the salary would be about the equivalent of many entry-level newspaper jobs).

Taco Bell ain't hiring that girl, and they ain't going to hire me. They want someone who will be able to commit to them for, I would guess, at least 6 months, including training. I sure as heck won't commit to six months at minimum wage.

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Moral of the story? I'm going to lie like hell on my resume if I'm unemployed. Seriously.

3. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

As someone who is currently looking form work right now, the overqualified thing is so true.

I am in school working on a Master's and every time I go to an interview and tell them I am doing so, they look at me like I am nuts for applying with them.

That is almost as irritating as the fact that the jobs I seem to get considered for are commission-based sales gigs. I would be horrible at these types of jobs, cause I view everything as temporary (except for jobs in the field I am getting my MA in) and don't give a shit about a company that doesn't give a shit about me (and none of them do).

4. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

Then you should know that it comes with requirements to look for work. Not sure what you mean by "stringent," but when I was on unemployment briefly in 2007, you had to document five places you'd looked for work on each week's claim form.

Lucky for you that you apparently had a few bucks saved up. I'd say you're definitely not the norm, however, because many people are a paycheck or two away from homelessness.

And this dumbass girl is far from the norm when it comes to the unemployed. The few people I know who are out of work would gladly take any job that came along.

5. fishhack2009

Wrong. I've worked there as a second job, and will probably do so again in the near future. And I've got a journalism degree.

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I get the feeling that this girl isn't just stopping short of applying at Taco Bell. She wants people to deposit money directly into her bank account.

I'm betting that rather than applying for jobs she's overqualified for, she's probably looking at "fun", "cool" jobs that she's unqualified for.

7. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Both Mrs. Inkstain and I have taken part-time jobs working fast food since we got our degrees.

8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Maybe they should downgrade their lifestyle and start saving for a rainy day?

(and I'd bet those people are a lot further than they think. They may be a missed paycheck or two away from not making the rent payment, but I have quite a bit of experience with how far you can push things without actually getting evicted, or getting your utilities shut off, or getting hauled into court, etc.)

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Do you think that maybe the people you're interviewing with can read your attitude?

Given what you've written, why would they hire you?

10. fishhack2009

Oh, absolutely. She's a nitwit.

And I'm not an expert on identity theft or anything ... but posting your bank routing number and account number doesn't exactly strike me as a very smart thing to do.

There was some other gal about 10 years ago who did something similar in the infancy of the Internet ... had like $50,000 in credit card debt or something, so instead of doing what any of us would do and find a way to work herself out of it, she set up a website begging for people to send her money. She got more than enough to pay off her bills.

The sad thing is, someone will probably see this story and hire this dumb attention whore just for a bit of free pub.

11. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Putting aside any thoughts on someone with a journalism degree needing to work a second job:

You're the exception.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Almost like she's Lovely and Talented...

Draft saved Draft deleted