1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Please, Make WFAN Stop.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Fenian_Bastard, Jan 14, 2008.

1. Tuned in M&MD to get the playoff wrap-up today. Things were going along pretty well -- those two really do know how to run a national talk-show in a local market as well as anyone does -- but then the whole show beached itself. First, there was M, trying to guess what the TV ratings were for the weekend's games, which was deadly enough, but then there were these endless promos for Boomer's morning show, using only the "funny" bits. God, were these painful. And these were the best they had?
    Is that show really that bad?

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

For some reason, I find the ratings guessing game oddly fascinating. I try to guess along and see how I do. I do fairly well at it, particularly with the national numbers.

Mike's damn good at it, though.

I can see why it would bore a lot of people to tears, but for some reason, I like it.

Missed it today and I've heard parts of Boomer's morning show. Not funny, but then, I didn't expect it to be. It's fairly intelligent as far as talk radio goes, I suppose. I think I heard Boomer and some other schlep talking about politics and changed the channel. For sports talk, though, Boomer's pretty good. Intelligent with real insight into the game. No schtick. Problem is, I don't much care to hear him talk about anything other than football.

Mike Golic is one of the few ex-jocks who I can listen to talking about sports besides his own, largely because he and Greenberg have good chemistry and can be entertaining when doing it. Boomer strikes me as more informative than entertaining and I don't see him being all that informative outside the football arena.

3. Boomer's always impressed me as the kind of midtown blowhard you move to the other end of the bar to avoid.

4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Oh, and I know M&MD is one of, if not THE, premier talk radio shows in the country and certainly on WFAN, but the constant commercials and adverstisements really take a lot of steam out of the show.

There are literally times on a 20-minute drive where I'll hear four minutes or less of actual show. The rest is commercials or one of the guys reading an advertisement.

I understand the station needs to make its money, but if they encroach any further with the ads, it's going to be completely unlistenable.

5. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

M&MD usually kills me. Francessa is a blowhard. Russo has about as annoying a voice as anyone gets in radio. Their guessing game on ratings sucks. Anyone can guess the ratings it really doesn't take a genius and they do it with the information in front of them!

Boomer's radio show is definitely as bad as it is advertised. They are continually playing the promos over and over and it is awful. I will also point out that Boomer is very much a player apologist and continually goes back to the "when I was a player" well.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Frat-boy type. An amazing far-right business suckup, if you listen too closely.

I listened to the morning show for a while, early on. It was better than I thought it would be. It still resides squarely in the Land of Suck, however.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Hate the ratings thing. Mike acts like he is the 2nd coming of Roone Arledge.

" Let see dog - Celtics/ Suns opposit Chuck Norris infomercial. I give it a 1.2"

Its one of those moments for Francesa where he give you the "I know and you don't attitude"

As far as morning show its a mess. They should have stayed with Kim Jones / Chris Carlon combo who are great together.

8. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

No idea why, but I love the ratings thing, especially the smug look on Mike's face when he actually gets close. He acts like he just cured cancer. "Cavs-Spurs? Not a ton of interest, especially in New York. Dog, I'm going to say 4.4 national and, ah, 3.2 local."

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

CC's great. He feels he needs to kiss Jones' ass, and I've got a newsflash for her -- she ain't that f'n smart.

10. cortez

cortez Member

If you don't think Tank peeks beforehand, then, well.......
    M&MD used to be a good show, but they've been mailing it in for a few years now. But if a caller (not me) should try to correct bad info, he gets shouted down.
    I've moved on

11. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Well we wouldn't have to worry about Boomer's show polluting the morning airwaves if we didn't allow the liberal politically correct whiners and thought police to kick the other guy off the air for being a meanie.....

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Ah, but Imus lives (debatable, I know, but there he is, over with all the WABC whacks). The free market works.

Draft saved Draft deleted