1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Please Hillary Fall on Your Sword

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by EStreetJoe, Feb 24, 2008.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Any day I expect Mitch Albom to ride high on MSNBC as the third horseman.

Who's gonna be No. 4?

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

When I say "Clinton machine," I'm talking about how much political power they have in Washington from his eight years as president and her's as a senator this decade. I don't care if they're middle of the road, I'm looking at the power they wield. Maybe I could have said Clinton name recognition to tone it down, but you get the point.

3. They wield no power, as the campaign thus far demonstrates.
    Except over the minds of New Hampshirites, I guess.

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Howard Wolfson, for one, blames "the media".

http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/0208/Clinton_and_the_press.html

Of course, the irony here is, Howard "Ugly Sweater" Wolfson has been paid millions of dollars to get Hillary Clinton favorable press coverage.

When your communications director starts taking direct swipes at the press, it's time to strike up the band.

Heckuva job, Wolfie.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

So now Hillary is mocking Obama for giving all these speeches at these rallies with a lot of people? Is she trying to take the Nader vote. I understand her campaign is in a do or die situation and its only rhetoric, which if fine, but she looks like a silly, small person for doing it.
    And the Clintons won't do anything to win. If she'd just apologized for her vote on the Iraq War and not tried to defend it (whether sincere or not), I don't think she'd be in the position she is in.

6. You can't possibly believe the coverage overall has been down the middle.
    Obama's getting silly heat now, after he's wrapped it up.

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

And you can't possibly believe that there aren't reasons why the coverage is what it is.

8. Yeah, and some of them are pretty damned odious.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It goes both ways. I wouldn't exactly say Clinton has worked hard to foster good relations with the press. But the truth is the press enjoys a good story, or finds it easier to write a "new" story than a rehash of an old story. HRC's camp should have "reintroduced" Clinton as a woman apart from Bill, instead of the "you know me" strategy. Actually, I really couldn't tell you much about what makes HRC tick. What her hobbies are, what has driven her all these years, whether she worried that marrying Bill would hamper her own career aims.
    HRC can treat the press any way she wants to, but she shouldn't treat them dismissively and then be surprised she's not getting good press.
    Considering the pictures people have seen on their TV screens and the debates people have watched, I really wonder what HRC feels has been unfair.
    And remember this is from a candidate who left her name on the ballot in Michigan, wants Florida's primary to stand and had supporters challenge caucus rules in Nevada her campaign previously approved when poll numbers suggested it might be beneficial to her campaign. And she should also remember one thing, people don't go to movies to see the favorite kick the little guy's ass. They like it better the other way around.

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

And some are pretty damn obvious, too.

11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I disagree. I think she's in the position she's in because people don't like her as much as they like Obama. There's also a subtext of being tired of the Clintons' dominance of the political discussion, and I think the far right has a lot to do with that. Hell, I'd love to see a McCain-Obama campaign in the fall simply because it would gut the far right's talking heads and talking points --- they won't have Hillary Clinton to bash, and "their" candidate is one they can't bear the thought of voting for.

12. March 6, kids.
    Patience, please.

Draft saved Draft deleted