1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Please Help

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by RAWright1987, May 24, 2007.

1. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

Tripling up on punctuation? Not cool.

Added: Seriously, and it is the advice that is given on here at least five times per day -- read. Read sports writing, read news writing, read books, read magazines. Read good writing. It's the best way to improve your own writing and to get "a feel" for what good writing is all about. When you get to Alabama, get on with the school paper and take whatever staff writing position you can get. Take journalism classes. Absorb everything your professors tell you. It will be OK.

Added pt. II: It's really not necessary to go back and fix all of your grammar and spelling mistakes. Most people, I think, are just giving you a hard time about it (myself included). 

Added pt. III: Don't use your cyst as an excuse for bad spelling.

2. RAWright1987

RAWright1987 New Member

Thanks Bullwinkle, I have a bad habit of using informal language on message boards. I realize that I need to do all that I can to get away from it because eventually it will carry over when I need to be mistake free.

3. RAWright1987

RAWright1987 New Member

I understand, I send my local newspaper's sports editor emails all of the time correcting him on the errors that he makes on an almost daily basis. They are all sports-related though and have nothing to do with grammar. it drives me crazy when he mentions Matt Schaub as Michael Vick's backup when he has been traded to the Houston Texans for several months now. I am not using my cyst as an excuse, I am using my cast as one. I am a former county spelling bee champ, I can spell simple words such as teacher and inaugural.

4. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Hmm... I'm starting to smell a rat on this one...

1. e-mails the local SE with corrections
    2. typing one-handed
    3. believes in the importance of spelling but lets it slides on message boards

Our favorite pet peeves, all rolled into one...

5. RAWright1987

RAWright1987 New Member

Do you mean "lets it slide" Cadet???

6. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Thank you for confirming my suspicions. ;)

No innocent newbie college kid would be so testy so soon...

7. RAWright1987

RAWright1987 New Member

Are you saying that you do not believe I am a college kid?

8. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

This user is currently ignored.

9. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

My cat's a better poster than this newbie!

10. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

Wait a sec, that is you? Damn, kid, get off my back. I'm practically a one-man show at this shop. Can't get everything right.

PS - Don't click the attachments on the reply's I sent you. Your Dell will never be the same.

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Yeah, it usually takes until about the 19th post before they say, "Fuck these cynical bastards."

12. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

hey... he's "typecast" ... that's pretty funny.

Draft saved Draft deleted